Catalina Flying Boat

Roscobbc

148658561_3642017405887325_813184666493950234_o.jpg

Saw a circa WW2 Catalina flying boat fly northwards over us earlier today - almost missed it - the soft gentle sounds of its twin radials almost lost over the noise of urban traffic and garden machinery. Never ever seen one of these - presume its the only airworthy one named 'Miss Pick Up' based at Duxford. What a treat!

JonnyC4

CCCUK Member
You've got to stand next to it, it's a large plane with a massive wing span. Saw it a few years back at Duxford.
It's one of several that still flying today as a museum aircraft.

Attachments

• 45291719_1894882990596944_935485340683075584_n.jpg
    45291719_1894882990596944_935485340683075584_n.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 5

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
It was the B17 'Sally B' based at Duxford that i and Chuffer saw heading to and returning from Ragley Hall 5th & 6th June 2021.
She is the only airworthy B17 in Europe.
As a result of reading up about the Sally B this morning i have just joined the Sally B supporters club at Β£40 a year to help keep her flying as a living memorial to the US bomber crews.... clicky linky thingy >> B-17 Preservation Ltd - The Sally B Website - Sally B Supporters Club

Roscobbc

It was the B17 'Sally B' based at Duxford that i and Chuffer saw heading to and returning from Ragley Hall 5th & 6th June 2021.
As a result of reading up about the Sally B this morning i have just joined the Sally B supporters club at Β£40 a year to help keep her flying as a living memorial to the US bomber crews.... clicky linky thingy >> B-17 Preservation Ltd - The Sally B Website - Sally B Supporters Club
I know that East Anglia has a really strong and historic affiliation with the USAF bomber crews that were based in Norfolk, Suffolk and adjoining counties - the attrition rates of servicemen were extremely high. The relatively short period of time they were operating from UK soil left a disproportionate legacy in the UK. Makes one wonder - had the tables been reversed (America attacked by Axix powers) would our government of the day helped - and more importantly would individuals 'signed-up' in the US army, navy or air force to fight for the Americans..........

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I know that East Anglia has a really strong and historic affiliation with the USAF bomber crews that were based in Norfolk, Suffolk and adjoining counties - the attrition rates of servicemen were extremely high. The relatively short period of time they were operating from UK soil left a disproportionate legacy in the UK. Makes one wonder - had the tables been reversed (America attacked by Axix powers) would our government of the day helped - and more importantly would individuals 'signed-up' in the US army, navy or air force to fight for the Americans..........

You cant really be interested in Drag Racing in the UK and not be aware of Santa Pods history.. it doesnt take long to become aware of the 15 miles apart from each other network of WWII airfields around here.
Yes, the UK would have got involved, it was the UK who declared war, any German aggression in any direction at that point would have brought the UK into it.
But what if it had only been a limited Pacific war with no European involvement, just between Japan and the US? with no aggression against us in Borneo, Malaya & Hong Kong? .. im not sure if we would have got directly militarily involved in that.. or would we. Our role might possibly have been support by sending (smaller) Atlantic supply convoys in the opposite direction. Or would the temptation to put the British Empires Royal Navy to good use have been too much?.. who knows..

Oneball

CCCUK Member
You cant really be interested in Drag Racing in the UK and not be aware of Santa Pods history.. it doesnt take long to become aware of the 15 miles apart from each other network of WWII airfields around here.
Yes, the UK would have got involved, it was the UK who declared war, any German aggression in any direction at that point would have brought the UK into it.
But what if it had only been a limited Pacific war with no European involvement, just between Japan and the US? with no aggression against us in Borneo, Malaya & Hong Kong? .. im not sure if we would have got directly militarily involved in that.. or would we. Our role might possibly have been support by sending (smaller) Atlantic supply convoys in the opposite direction. Or would the temptation to put the British Empires Royal Navy to good use have been too much?.. who knows..
Japan had to invade Malaya and the Dutch East Indies due to its need for rubber, we also needed it just as much, it was never going any other way.

From Weston air show a few years ago
2C2636F8-5EFF-46DC-9489-04F553714674.jpeg1A5B1B17-FE7F-4A63-838A-8F1916A395FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Japan had to invade Malaya and the Dutch East Indies due to its need for rubber, we also needed it just as much, it was never going any other way.

We are re-writing history however unrealistically to provide a hypothetical scenario with no basis in fact.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Not me mate , I was no where near Ragley Hall that day ! Sally B did fly over our village a few years back and have been up close to her at Duxford . What a machine !!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep

Saw a circa WW2 Catalina flying boat fly northwards over us earlier today - almost missed it - the soft gentle sounds of its twin radials almost lost over the noise of urban traffic and garden machinery. Never ever seen one of these - presume its the only airworthy one named 'Miss Pick Up' based at Duxford. What a treat!
What a fantastic photo , always loved the design of the Catalina . It flew over us a few years back on the way Back to Duxford . We get some interesting aircraft fly over our village from time to time . Another treat was the Blenheim Bomber a while back .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
A couple of weeks ago we had this little flying rarity come over . The Jet Provost , first one I have seen flying in many years The RAF used them in the Flying Pelicans aerobatic team in the early 1960`s .Jet Provost.jpg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member

BrilliantπŸ‘ Saw this close up a few years ago when it flew into st mawgan in cornwall. Such a pretty plane but way smaller in the flesh than i imagined from my schooldays.
afraid I have to pick you up on the twin radials tho,… surely a tyre of that vintage would be Crossply πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
All these photos of old planes reminds me I have a collection of my grandads photos he took from various airshows. He was big into them and when I was a nipper I used to come along to the occasional one or two (aka when I was up there staying with the grandparents). Grandparents are all deceased now, but I "found" my collection of his photos just the other day and looked through them. His favourite was the Mosquito, mostly because he worked on them during the war.

As for whether Britain would have joined in a USA war as per above hypothetic scenario, I suspect we would. Back in those days when we were made of sterner stuff, and had more of an empire and industrial and military strength. Nowadays, I'm not so sure if the general public would be bothered as they'd be too busy typing stuff up on Twitbook or whatever.

antijam

CCCUK Member
All these photos of old planes reminds me I have a collection of my grandads photos he took from various airshows. He was big into them and when I was a nipper I used to come along to the occasional one or two (aka when I was up there staying with the grandparents). Grandparents are all deceased now, but I "found" my collection of his photos just the other day and looked through them. His favourite was the Mosquito, mostly because he worked on them during the war.
It's unfortunate that the wooden structure that made the Mosquito one of the most innovative and successful aircraft of WW2 is largely the reason so few remain today. Of the nearly 8000 built just 30 remain, the laminated balsa construction deteriorating with age and then being very difficult to restore. Your Grandfather worked on them CaptainK and my father, Flt Lt D.C.James DFC flew them.
The most famous Mossie of all was 'F for Freddie' , a B.Mk.IX that flew more operational sorties during the war than any other allied aircraft, and during it's time with 105 Pathfinder squadron, my father's log book shows he flew several of them. Having survived the war it's particularly ironic that it was written off during a war bond promotional tour of Canada - this article lists its history. Incidentally, the John Sampson DFC, referred to in the article, was my father's navigator.
I have a framed print of the painting 'Top Dog' (an allusion perhaps not only to overall superiority but to the aircraft’s exceptional altitude performance too) by Robert Taylor showing Mosquito LR503 - F for Freddie's registration - on a high-altitude mission over occupied Europe in early 1945.

Capture.JPG
My father's last sortie in 'F for Freddie' was on February 9th 1945 and while it may be fanciful on my part, I like to think that perhaps he's the pilot....

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Spot the connection - Marcos GT 1800 and the Mossie . Both bonded plywood frame construction and had design input from Frank Costin . Both were fast , light and strong but as much as love Marcos cars , the Mossie wins on pure aural delight . Stereophonic Merlins ! What could be better ? Except maybe a quadraphonic Lancaster ! Marcos 1800GT.jpg

antijam

CCCUK Member
Interestingly the Mosquito can be considered one of the first 'stealth' aircraft, it's wooden construction providing a very low Radar signature. There were of course wooden aircraft before the Mosquito but most had been retired by the time Germany was using early Radar. Combined with the Mosquito's high altitude and speed performance this made the aircraft very difficult to detect. Bomber variants had no defensive armament, relying on speed and altitude to escape enemy attention.

Roscobbc

Irrespective of whether Mosquito, Marcos (or Morgan) maker sure your hanger or garage is of steel, brick or concrete construction - don't want any timber in there do we harbouring those nasty little woodworm bugs o_O

antijam

CCCUK Member
Irrespective of whether Mosquito, Marcos (or Morgan) maker sure your hanger or garage is of steel, brick or concrete construction - don't want any timber in there do we harbouring those nasty little woodworm bugs o_O
No indeed! this is part of the dashboard of one of my old bangers after spending too many years unattended in the garage.....:(

IMGP1391-001.JPG

It held together just long enough for me to make a pattern. Woodworm are particularly partial to plywood.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
It's unfortunate that the wooden structure that made the Mosquito one of the most innovative and successful aircraft of WW2 is largely the reason so few remain today. Of the nearly 8000 built just 30 remain, the laminated balsa construction deteriorating with age and then being very difficult to restore. Your Grandfather worked on them CaptainK and my father, Flt Lt D.C.James DFC flew them.

Thanks, good to meet someone else with a connection to the Mosquito - hats off to your dad for doing a sterling job with these beasties :). My Granddad was also going to fly the Mosquito, but if I remember correctly he failed the physical due to colour blindness I think. Hence he worked on them instead. He did go up in them a few times though, and mum and dad have some nice photos of his war time that they inherited. Unfortunately I don't know where he was based etc, but I do vaguely remember "his" Mosquitos were involved in the Dambusters raids I think - either the scouts beforehand, or the photo recon afterwards. My memory is not great at all, but I know we do have a photo of a busted dam somewhere.