CCCUK Track Group at North Weald 18th June - Postponed

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
Update 19/03, we are sorry to report that the operators of this day, Car Limits, are now in the hands of liquidators. It shouldn't have been possible for them to have accepted bookings and payments this week. Fortunately only four of us had paid by this morning and all have been notified and it should be possible to have our funds returned. A well established company, Everyman Racing are taking over, Mark and I have been talking to them today about the way forwards and we hope they will be able to offer us this event at North Weald again in the future. Regards, David

As you may have seen in this issue of Vette News, we are encouraging you to take your Corvette on track.

For the previous few years we have promoted 'Activity Days' at North Weald airfield. This is the perfect opportunity for a group of car enthusiasts to let their hair down (where applicable) and put cars through their paces, in safety and at low cost too.
Booking Link removed.

If you're curious, but want to know more, below are a few Q and A's. Perhaps some of you who have taken part before can chip in too? :)

What's the day about?
25 cars spend the day with a pair of staff/instructors driving a variety of circuits, from a 'simple' high speed bend in the morning, to an against the clock challenge on the MSUK sprint circuit in the afternoon. You drive your own car, at your own pace; the object of the day is to have fun and learn what you and your car might do at the limits of grip! It might just save you from an accident on the road. Unlike a trackday it is typically one car at a time, so no need to worry about any other car around you.

Why North Weald?
There are very few places left in the UK where you can drive you car in this manner. Certainly spinning and sliding is not encouraged on proper race tracks, nor is it to be advised unless your confident. You will spin at some stage in the day, but with acres of tarmac and grass run off it's almost impossible to reach anything solid to hit. North Weald is just north of the M25, near the M11, so access is good, even if coming from the northern provinces.

Is my Corvette suitable?
Yes. Every model every produced is up to the task, old or new, auto or manual. We've had C3, C4, C5, C6 and C7 participate so far. Bring a tyre pump with you, as a slightly higher tyre pressure will help protect the side walls. Don't forget to lower the pressure back down again for the drive home.

How hard on the car is it?
Well, you'll be driving it harder than on the road, but each turn on the track is short and you return to join the tail end of the queue after a slow trundle around a perimeter road, so the car should not overheat. Tyre wear is minimal, to the point I don't really notice it. I'm not aware of anyone having a breakage at these days, and there must have been 30 or 40 of us attending them so far. You can always duck out at any time to pop to the loos or grab a drink or food at the double decker bus cafe.

Is it suitable for beginners?
Yes, it's perfect, in fact this is where I recommend that most people start, before driving on a full circuit. Personally I enjoy the social side, watching others drive and trying to brush up on my car control on the limit (some might say showing off).

What safety equipment do I need?
Nothing at all, no helmet needed. Just take out any loose items from the car, there is a portacabin you can leave any possessions (at own risk).

Am I insured?
No, not with your road insurance.

Can I bring a co-driver/passenger?
Probably yes to a co-driver or passenger, but no to spectating. Much will depend on any Covid restrictions. The downside to having a co-driver is halving the amount of time you will have behind the wheel, you'll be having too much fun!

I've got open pipes, is this ok?
Sadly no, despite having aircraft taking off and the M11/25 humming in the background there is a 105dB static noise check at the beginning of the day. So far everyone has passed, although a couple have come close (where are you yellow C4 driver?).

Is this an official CCCUK run event?
No, whilst those of us in the track group are telling you about this event, it is run by Car Limits. There will be a mixture of other cars on the day, but that only adds to the fun. You may see supercars, race cars and everyday shopping cars, but all drivers abide by the same safety rules and instructions given before the event starts.
I can see that we already have four Corvette's booked and all sorts from an MX-5, Cayman, TT, Elise and a horde of BMW's. :)

This is a video to show you the full circuit you will get to drive in the afternoon. It gives an example of how wide open the area is, with painted lines to mark the track.

Please book here: Booking link removed.

On behalf of the CCCUK Track Group, best regards, Dave.

Photos courtesy of Mark Eaton :)

Last edited: