Changed the oil and filter on my work car for the 1st time

Rich

Administrator
I do James, as I really don't have the inclination to do it these days. I don't have much option, but that doesn't bother me.

As I don't have a lift, I can't do the job to my standards and it's not easy to get under the car anyway. Secondly whilst it is up in the air I can take a good wander around to check all is well. The cost of an hour's labour is worth that alone. I supply my own oil and filter anyway so there is no mark up by the garage and I don't have to dispose of the old oil in the correct manner. What did you do with your old oil?

Last edited:

antijam

CCCUK Member
Half the time a garage will use something like this anyway (so do I) - if the filter's accessible from above it's easier than getting the car up in the air or crawling underneath.

Corvette

Well-known user
I have to change mine next month, that’s 12.5 litres of Mobil 1. A real swine to catch the old stuff coming out Into 5 Litre cans. Then a smooth ride to the tip to pour it out.

Chris Sale

CCCUK Member
I have one of those vacuum suction fluid extractors. When I started to use it to change oil on my '64 I found I could not get more than 3 litres out of the sump. I could not not understand why, until one day when I was looking at some photos of my engine with the sump removed and noticed that the end of the dipstick tube points directly ate the

Chris Sale

CCCUK Member
I have one of those vacuum suction fluid extractors. When I started to use it to change oil on my '64 I found I could not get more than 3 litres out of the sump, leaving about 1.5 L behind. I could not not understand why, until one day when I was looking at some photos of my engine with the sump removed and noticed that the end of the dipstick tube points directly at the oil pump pickup. The extractor tube hits the pickup before it can reach the bottom of the sump.