Considering a C5, tips wanted

PrinceRupert

Regular user
Hello all

I am a new member and considering a C5 as my next weekend car. They seem to tick a lot of boxes for me - big engine, rare, character. I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions as to what spec/year I should be looking at and how much I should expect to pay. Budget is flexible, obviously spending less would be a bonus. Suggestions of decent cars that are available would also be welcome, though given lockdown etc it might not be into the new year before I am in a position to buy.

Oh and someone on Pistonheads suggested there was a buying guide on here, but I can't seem to find it! If someone could point me in the direction ...

Thanks all
PR

Rich

Administrator
Oh and someone on Pistonheads suggested there was a buying guide on here, but I can't seem to find it! If someone could point me in the direction ...
Thanks all
PR
Welcome to the Forum. The CCCUK has produced a Buyer's Guide specific to the C5 giving tips on what to look for, some common faults and the experience of owning one in the UK. However, the Guide is available to Club Members only.
You'll probably join anyway ;) so why not now? - it's only £22.50 and provides membership until our renewal date of 30/4/21.
Also, if you find a car and want to post details here, the members will be able to comment on it and it's possible that the Club knows the seller. Club Member cars are generally your best bet.
The Corvette Black Book is an excellent purchase as it details the differences between the years and all the options/colours. It's on Amazon for around £25 but you only need up to 2004 (as the C6 was released in 2005) so you may find a used one somewhere.

Motorbikes

Regular user
Welcome to the Forum. The CCCUK has produced a Buyer's Guide specific to the C5 giving tips on what to look for, some common faults and the experience of owning one in the UK. However, the Guide is available to Club Members only.
You'll probably join anyway ;) so why not now? - it's only £22.50 and provides membership until our renewal date of 30/4/21.
Also, if you find a car and want to post details here, the members will be able to comment on it and it's possible that the Club knows the seller. Club Member cars are generally your best bet.
The Corvette Black Book is an excellent purchase as it details the differences between the years and all the options/colours. It's on Amazon for around £25 but you only need up to 2004 (as the C6 was released in 2005) so you may find a used one somewhere.

As a member, where would I find the buyers guide?

PrinceRupert

Regular user
Thank you! Super helpful. I will certainly consider joining the club. If I do acquire a C5, it may even allow me cheaper insurance :)

I have been having a look at those that are currently for sale and prices seem to be all over the place. Another enthusiast on Pistonheads suggested I should be aiming to spend no more than around 13.5k for a good C5 unless it was the Z06, but prices of those advertised seem to be much higher. Do the early examples up for as much as 20k simply not sell?

This looks a good example - CHEVROLET CORVETTE C5 TARGA COUPE, POSSIBLY TAKE A CHEAPER CLASSIC IN P/X !!! | eBay - but not sure what a reasonable price is, given it is a (relatively) high mileage early model.

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
That's a very well written advert but actually 'stating the obvious' in several areas. When I was looking for my C5 I was advised to go for a model after 2001 due to some piston ring problems which were rectified on later models. Although Corvette engines are considered by many to be 'bomb proof' I'd be looking for a car with less than that in the advert.
Sound advice joining the CCCUK, access to supplier & insurance discounts, as well as helpful members who may well go out of their way to help you find a good C5.
As a footnote I've had my C5, a 2002 manual coupe, for almost 14 years now & it's been great. Of course I've looked after it, as had the one previous owner. That said it's needed little more than the annual oil & filter change, I actually go looking for things to do to do it rather than what it needs.
Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
The black C5 in the advert looks like a Euro-spec car, judging by the rear red fog-lights, and the wheels are after-market items.
Originality (i.e. how the Corvette left Bowling Green) may be a factor in your deliberations.......then again, it may not. As Rich Rogers suggested, buy yourself a copy of Mike Antonick's Black Book and get acquainted with RPOs.
J.C. (1911)

PrinceRupert

Regular user
So, I joined, as you seem like a pleasant bunch and I'd like to support the club even if I don't end up with a Corvette :) Could someone please PM me the buyer's guide?

What do we think of this car/price?

Rich

Administrator
So, I joined, as you seem like a pleasant bunch and I'd like to support the club even if I don't end up with a Corvette :) Could someone please PM me the buyer's guide?
Welcome to the CCCUK. I have asked the membership secretary to contact you.

Slick

Well-known user
As to the silver car linked above, it is also on Gumtree: Chevrolet corvette c5 | in St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex | Gumtree

Parked outside a car dealers (Skinners of Rye) but not for sale through them, sold as a private sale. Seems a bit of a red flag to me.

Anyone know it? Seems at first glance a decent car and price.
That has an aftermarket radio fitted .......if you do go and look at it make sure the radio is fitted correctly , i.e no large gaps around it.
Better still , buy off this forum/club , you get one thats enthusiast owned and known in the club.

PrinceRupert

Regular user
Thanks, Slick! I would certainly prefer to buy a Club car. I might hold off with a 'Wanted' add till post-Lockdown, but if anyone is reading this and is looking at selling a C5 (or possibly even an early C6!) in the near future do let me know!

Robert Craske

Well-known user
Check the harmonic balancer is not wobbling when you view a car as these are prone to failure and a very common fault. I would recommend paying a little more and finding a low mileage car.