Corvettes On Screen

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
We used to have a thread on the old forum for mentions of Corvettes appearing in films or tv (or in adverts)

There is one on tonight…..

”Game Night” BBC1, 10-35pm. Features a red ’76.

I’ve seen it before and thought it was entertaining - some very funny moments and a decent amount of airtime for the Corvette.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I can think of a couple where a corvette was one of the leading players
1973 white coupe in the magician
1960 red/white cove in riptide
1965 black coupe in stingray.
Various C1 models for route 66

possibly the most infamous
Late 70’s Corvette fitted with a Mcburnie kit transforming it into a 365GTS “Daytona” in Miami Vice

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Being a two seater, the corvette has always proved very hard to place both in TV series and films due to its lack of interior space for actors in the storyline. Especially cop or PI type productions.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Being a two seater, the corvette has always proved very hard to place both in TV series and films due to its lack of interior space for actors in the storyline. Especially cop or PI type productions.
It didn`t stop Magnum P.I. being a huge hit with a Ferrari 308 and Tom Selek`s head sticking out the top !

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The
It didn`t stop Magnum P.I. being a huge hit with a Ferrari 308 and Tom Selek`s head sticking out the top !
the Ferrari 308GTS had a much greater appeal than a C3 corvette would have received.
Same as in the 1969 series The persuaders. Tony Curtis’s character “Danny Wilde” was originally going to drive a 1969 Corvette. The idea of an American driving an American Car. Roger Moore aka Lord Brett Sinclair” driving the ever so British Aston Martin.
However a Ferrari was chosen to add glamour/style whatever you wish to call it.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
talking of car placement in films and TV , Roger Moore aka Simon Templer - The Saint lived in Overstone which during the 1960`s was a dez rez village area on the northern fringe of Northampton not too far from where I gew up It is now swallowed up in urban development . As a lad I often saw him drive through Northampton in his white Volvo P1800 .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
If the bosses had their way, Simon would have been wizzing around in a white E-Type jag, but jaguar could sell every one they made and wouldn’t supply one gratis for use, or even let them buy one and jump the queue for one.
Volvo were only too happy to jump in. Wise move on their part. To have the leading car in a hit TV show. Priceless marketing.
The plate ST 1 was I think owned by Billy Smart ( of the circus fame) who was a prolific plate buyer/owner. He also owned the BS 1 plate on Rogers Aston in the persuaders.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Radio 2‘s Ken Bruce drove an 81(?) during a whole episode of Antiques Road Trip. Not that I ever watch anything as cultured as that. I wonder if this was a Club members car.

5A07C2EA-4EB4-4F5B-814A-772E2E22E51B.png

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If the bosses had their way, Simon would have been wizzing around in a white E-Type jag, but jaguar could sell every one they made and wouldn’t supply one gratis for use, or even let them buy one and jump the queue for one.
Volvo were only too happy to jump in. Wise move on their part. To have the leading car in a hit TV show. Priceless marketing.
The plate ST 1 was I think owned by Billy Smart ( of the circus fame) who was a prolific plate buyer/owner. He also owned the BS 1 plate on Rogers Aston in the persuaders.
It`s a well known story about Jaguar not beind interested .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It`s a well known story about Jaguar not beind interested .
Indeed it is. But as we are talking about a series some 50+ years old, many younger people may not know the story.
If you already know it fine, if you don’t you’ve learnt something new.
I for one try to learn something new every day if I can.