Dec 7th 1941

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
My parents (mother in particular) never liked the Japanese because of the way they treated our pow's as they knew many who had suffered at their hands. My grandmother, Aunt and Uncle were trapped in their house during the Clydebank Blitz and had to be dug out with many of their friends also losing their homes. I wonder how today's generation would handle what happened back then.

Pete

Roscobbc

Strange in some respects how historically various sectors of our general population would avoid buying perhaps German manufactured cars and products (due to the atrocities of WW1 and WW2 where perhaps they or family had been directly affected) yet would think nothing of buying a Japanese manufactured product (who certainly committed atrocities to captured allied servicemen and civilians in captured territories)

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
As I'd said previously, it was Japanese people and products my mother refused to entertain if possible. She didn't seem to have a similar dislike to the Germans. She certainly liked Americans, as quite a few were billeted in her family home during the war - mostly Naval personnel.

Pete