Detached T.Top Glass

M

M.Ruds

As a new member (I only joined on Sunday) this will be my first post. I bought my '78 Corvette last November, and was hoping to get it out on the road and attend a few shows and club meetings/events this summer, but looks like Covid19 might have scuppered that little plan! So I'm keeping myself busy doing odd jobs on the car.

One of those 'odd jobs' was to replace the flattened and deformed seals on the T.Top roof panels, but in doing so I've found a bigger problem. The glass panel on both tops has partially detached from the metal framework. It seems to be the black painted or vinyl (?) coating which has come away from the inside of the glass rather than the frame detaching from the black coating.

Has anybody had this problem before, and is there a tried and tested way of repairing this. I've read on US websites that a good urethane windshield adhesive (3M?) can be worked into the gap and the glass and frame can then be lightly clamped together for a lasting repair, but would like to know if any CCCUK members have tried and had any success with this.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mark R

Roscobbc

Good afternoon Mark - welcome to the club and forum. I'm sure one of our members will be along at some point to hopefully answer your questions. At a time when many of us are 'locked-up' you'd think that this would have been answered already. Be pateient!

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Hi Mark welcome to the Corvette Club
I have not had your issue BUT always hold the top with two hands - I once picked one up by a corner when it was horizontal and CRACK!

M

Martinshort

As a new member (I only joined on Sunday) this will be my first post. I bought my '78 Corvette last November, and was hoping to get it out on the road and attend a few shows and club meetings/events this summer, but looks like Covid19 might have scuppered that little plan! So I'm keeping myself busy doing odd jobs on the car.

One of those 'odd jobs' was to replace the flattened and deformed seals on the T.Top roof panels, but in doing so I've found a bigger problem. The glass panel on both tops has partially detached from the metal framework. It seems to be the black painted or vinyl (?) coating which has come away from the inside of the glass rather than the frame detaching from the black coating.

Has anybody had this problem before, and is there a tried and tested way of repairing this. I've read on US websites that a good urethane windshield adhesive (3M?) can be worked into the gap and the glass and frame can then be lightly clamped together for a lasting repair, but would like to know if any CCCUK members have tried and had any success with this.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mark R
A simple fix ,use sykaflex that will sort it

M

M.Ruds

Hi Mark welcome to the Corvette Club
I have not had your issue BUT always hold the top with two hands - I once picked one up by a corner when it was horizontal and CRACK!
Thanks for the advise, I'd been a bit wary of handling the roof panels, even more so now!
A simple fix ,use sykaflex that will sort it
Again, thanks for the advise. I'd looked at Sikaflex, but there seems to be so many different types of Sikaflex adhesive, I wasn't sure which one was best for this application. I've gone for the 3M Windshield Adhesive, as used by windscreen replacement companies. Fingers crossed!