Drag racing anyone?

richie500

CCCUK Member
has the club ever run an event at somewhere like Santa Pod.
Looks like you can hire it out for a club, I thought it would be good as we could run in groups C1, C2, C3 etc
I think a lot of people would enjoy taking their car down the strip.
Maybe next year, give me enough time to save up for some performance mods

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Watching mine go down the strip would be like watching paint dry.
Can i bring my Tesla?

Probably not. Since the governing bodies changed the safety rules for electric and hybrid cars no hillclimbs and sprints allow them, Iโ€™m guessing drag racing may be similar.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Probably not. Since the governing bodies changed the safety rules for electric and hybrid cars no hillclimbs and sprints allow them, Iโ€™m guessing drag racing may be similar.

I know the Pod banned non-production electric vehicles, i think thats been lifted now.
I think production cars are ok.
And, yes i was joking about bringing it and beating you all.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I know its not a testic*e, but i have beaten a polestar on a racetrack in Cornwall :) , so bring it on battery boys.

Just been on YouTube and looked at a video of my car - Tesla 3SR+ single motor (the slowest, cheapest Tesla available in the UK).
The second list of times is Jay Leno in the new Tesla Model S 'Plaid' (not the Plaid plus).
Both sets of times are using the official track timing..

60ft time 2.054 / 1.488
1/8 time 8.324 / 6.089
1/8 mph 86.08 / 121.62
1/4 time 12.85 / 9.24
1/4 mph 107.89 / 152.09

Roscobbc

The problem (perhaps surprisingly to our newer members) will be getting enough people firstly to show interest. Out of our close-to 1000 member database you see less than 50 come on the forum on a regular basis. Out of this number perhaps 20 or so are 'interactive'. I know we all have a bit of a laugh and some banter but the majority of members appear not to be the slightest bit interested in visiting or participating on the forum. As an ex-chairman no doubt someone will want to 'shoot me down' for stating the following - you'll see regional reps on here - but how often to you see a committee member on the forum? . The members you'll see on Facebook will quote the ease of use and the fact they can get everything they need on FB (forgetting that the topics 'fall-off' after a day or so). Most of the people on FB (if not bone fide CCCUK members) tend to be keyboard warrior/new to the hobby/know it all/know nothing types. So we then have the magazine which although I have the highest respect for simply isn't an interactive medium. I could go on to say that the Mustang Club has ran a couple of drag meetings at Santa Pod - the CCCUK have been invited.......you can count the CCCUK members who have responded and attended on the fingers of one hand..........so in short whilst the CCCUK is a club that caters for American 'sports cars' one has to presume that the majority of our owners perhaps are not 'sporty' inclined and may be better served driving Ford Anglia's or Vauxhall Chevettes?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Why would anyone drive a car powered by a stonking great V8 not be `sporty` inclined ???

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I would need to put a Supercharger or Nitros system on mine before i could put it on the 1/4 mile.
Makes the right noises, looks amazing, quick it isnt.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I would need to put a Supercharger or Nitros system on mine before i could put it on the 1/4 mile.
Makes the right noises, looks amazing, quick it isnt.
I was thinking of buying a new posh frock if the event comes off , or am I getting confused with a different kind of drag racing ? :unsure: :LOL:

Roscobbc

It doesn't really matter how fast your car is on the 1/4 mile or its elapsed time - its the consistancy that counts and being put up against a similarly performing vehicle.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
It doesn't really matter how fast your car is on the 1/4 mile or its elapsed time - its the consistancy that counts and being put up against a similarly performing vehicle.

I kind of get that.. up to a point..
I ran my old Norton Rotary down the 1/4 many times, it would do low 12's and 110mph which isnt blisteringly fast but is enough to have fun.
I dont know what my 1981 C3 would do but i suspect it would be both embarrassing and probably a bit boring.
The old girls a cruiser not a racer.

Last edited:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I dont know what my 1981 C3 would do but i suspect it would be both embarrassing and probably a bit boring.
The old girls a cruiser not a racer.

By the power of Google... Road & Track magazine did a performance test on the '81 and it turned the 1/4 mile in 16.0 sec. @ 86.5 MPH when new.
Probably get 17.5 @ 77mph now
Is he finished yet?.. no, still going.. shall we go get a coffee and come back, maybe he'll be done by then.. doubt it..

BobbyV8

CCCUK Member
Not my piece but a little insight into a top fuel dragster which you may find interesting. A little out of date as they only run 1000ft now instead of 1/4 mile. There is a reference to a corvette too ๐Ÿค 

TOP FUEL ACCELERATION PUT INTO PERSPECTIVE

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower (10,000 HP) than the first 5 rows at the Daytona 500.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1.2-1.5 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug.
This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.

* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acce leration approaches 8 G's.

* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run)
0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)
6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land)

6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin รขโ‚ฌหœchutes at 300 MPH An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on earth . . quicker than a jet fighter plane . . . quicker than the space shuttle.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.420 seconds for the quarter-mile (2004, Doug Kalitta). The top speed record is 337.58 MPH as measured over the last 66' of the run (2005, Tony Schumacher).

Putting this all into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass.

You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you.

He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH & not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race!

That's acceleration.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
What amazing statistics !! :eek: I think I will just stay at home and hide under the bed instead of taking the C3 to the Pod for a few passes :cautious:
In never imagined that the fuel compressed to a near solid state that will nearly hydraulic the pistons , that`s huge forces at play ! I have witnessed the damage done by 225 psi superheated steam carrying water over into 18 x 28 inch steam locomotive cylinders and hydraulicing them . It was very loud and and very messy !