Fri 17 Jun 2022 - 08:00
Until: Fri 17 Jun 2022 - 16:00
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Driving Day - Friday 17th June 2022, at "Drive Limits” North Weald Airfield, Essex.

IMG_2472.jpg

Club members have enjoyed several fantastic days at this event previously, which you may have seen featured in Vette News. I’m pleased to say we are participating again this year on Friday 17th June.

If you like to drive your Corvette “enthusiastically", (or want to try a bit of spirited driving) then this is for you.

It is definitely not a track day where you might be lapping a circuit with hot hatches in front or behind. Instead it is a controlled event with only one car at a time on a wide open course, there are no barriers or gravel traps to hit, so it is much safer for you and your car. (You are not required to wear a crash helmet). You decide how fast you want to drive, there is no pressure to “keep-up” or go faster than you are comfortable with. In summary, this is a fun day which gives you a chance to explore your car's performance and test your driving skills in a safe environment. No previous experience is required.

In previous events we have started the day with driving a 90 degree bend at progressively faster speeds, learning cornering technique. There might be other exercises and the second half of of the day is likely to be driving a marked-out course (painted lines and just a few cones), taking around 70 to 80 seconds to complete. The organisers will provide some instruction but it is not intensive training.

The event is a full day from 8-30 in the morning until 4pm, so the cost of £80 is reasonable for what is quite a unique opportunity. It is also a sociable day with plenty of opportunity to have a chat with fellow participants.

In previous years we have had C3, C4, C5, C6 and C7’s. Perhaps we can entice a C8 this year?

Here is the link to the Drive Limits website where there is more information. On the calendar it is the “Activity Day” on Friday 17th June:

https://www.drivelimits.com

If you would like to book a place, please do so directly (it would be appreciated if you can post here or PM me so that we have an idea of numbers).

There are currently only 10 places remaining so if you are interested, I would suggest booking immediately.

20191108_124708.jpeg

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Drat! 17th June is the last day of my holiday, so I can't make it. But out of interest, do you frown much on people who go but bring a different car instead of their Corvette?

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Not at all. Once you have recovered from the beating, things should be fine.:oops:

Seriously, it is not a problem for us in any way [it would be good to see you] but the organisers insist on sports/2-seater cars.... Hope this wouldn't be a showstopper

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Not at all. Once you have recovered from the beating, things should be fine.:oops:

Seriously, it is not a problem for us in any way [it would be good to see you] but the organisers insist on sports/2-seater cars.... Hope this wouldn't be a showstopper
I'm not sure, is this sporty / 2+2 coupe looking enough to qualify? (the red one at the front on circuit at Castle Coombe):

P5176211.jpg
If not, and you really insist on a C1 to C8, then I guess I could bring the wife's C1 (but I'd had to remove the "Citroen" badge first.....)

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
That would be fine, I'm sure and you are obviously used to a bit of the old track action!
I think the C1 [as advertised] might be pushing it......!

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
That would be fine, I'm sure and you are obviously used to a bit of the old track action!
I think the C1 [as advertised] might be pushing it......!
Thanks. Its been a while since I've been on track though - I think the last one was around 2011 (ish) doing a long weekend at the Nurburgring. But that was in my (now deceased) engine swapped 16v 205 GTi. Did around 25 laps of the 'Ring in that. The red car above only did one lap of the 'Ring as part of a Europe trip - only one because I couldn't risk destroying the car when I had another 2500 ish miles to do in a Europe Trip. Red car now is rather tatty though, after having a dodgy respray that went bad (and company went bust soon after), but it drives well enough. I'm not looking to be fast etc on track, but just to have some fun. I would bring my C3 to track days, but its worth a lot more to me, and value is many times more for me to risk it.

Anyway, its a moot point - can't come this year anyway due to being away on holiday. I'll keep an eye out for other track days with the club. :)

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
We currently have 11 Corvettes booked in for this event. There are now only 6 places remaining, so if you are thinking about joining in the fun, get you place booked now!!

Booking details are at beginning of this thread.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
A heads-up for those booked into this event, which is only a week away, next Friday 17th June.

There are twelve Corvettes booked in for this which is great (The event is fully booked)

The organisers would like us there at 8-30am for signing-on.

Drinks / coffee / tea can be purchased on site, so I suggest 8am arrival if you would like a coffee first and a more leisurely start! Food is also available at same vendor at lunchtime (or breakfast if you wish)

Please remember to bring your driving Licence - it will be needed at signing on.

The organisers recommend tyre pressures should be increased to maximum for your tyre for this event due to the track surface.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
Not long now, don't forget lots of drinking water and sunscreen as it's forecast to be a scorcher. :)

All cars should be fine (we've not had a breakdown yet), but I feel its kind to open the bonnet/hood between runs, or at least occasionally, as the nature of the event involves brief periods of full throttle, followed by a short queue and repeat.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Yep, forecast to be 33 degrees and the hottest day of the year so far in the south-east! But also forecasting a moderate breeze, which will be most welcome.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
It was an excellent day at the North Weald Driving event today. Nine Corvettes in total C3, 4, 5, 6 and C7. Several regulars but good to have some new drivers to this event. Cars and drivers all survived the baking heat. Our resident racing driver David Smitheram was the fastest Corvette, and very entertaining to watch.
IMG_20220617_090124.jpgIMG_20220617_092124.jpgIMG_20220617_120301.jpgIMG_20220617_085849.jpgIMG_20220617_124633.jpgIMG_20220617_085912.jpg