DVLA Registration Date Issue

pmacleod

Regular user
Hi all! I have imported my 1981 Corvette at the end of last year and have been waiting for a reply from the DVLA since for its registration. I have just received a reply in the post, rejecting my application as there is no "dating evidence" to suggest the car is the age it is. On the purchase document, it was listed as a 01/01/1981, and I thought I would be able to get it registered as a historic vehicle and thus be tax and MOT exempt. The trim tag is removed from the driver door too which doesnt help. Is there any way to get a date either from the club or from GM with an rough date or even just a date that he DLVA will accept? Thanks in advance!

Rich

Administrator
If you are a CCCUK Member we can supply you with a dating letter which is normally acceptable for the DVLA. Hope I'm not being too presumptuous by saying that once you have joined send me an email and we can start the ball rolling.

pmacleod

Regular user
I will very happily become a member, I look forward to meeting and seeing other members Corvettes later too! I will do that and get in touch.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Notwithstanding the official CCCUK confirmation of your cars age for DVLA acceptance, the following will help you get an idea of your cars build date.
The 01/01/1981 is just a 'catch-all' date since the exact date of manufacture wasn't known. '81 cars were built at both St. Louis and Bowling Green plants. St Louis VIN numbers were 1G1AY876?BS400001 - 1G1AY876?BS431611 and Bowling Green were 1G1AY876?B5100002 - 1G1AY876?B5108995. The last St. Louis car was produced on 01/08/1981 and the first Bowling Green car was produced on 01/06/1981.Your VIN will allow you to find a time window in which your car was produced. Entering the VIN in the C3 registry birthday calculator will give you a more precise estimate.

pmacleod

Regular user
Okay I am now a member, but I don't see an obvious way to direct message... I just tried the age calculator and it estimates 31st of July 1981.

Roscobbc

Direct your email for a club confirmation letter (together with your membership number) to chairman@corvetteclub.org.uk and Rich will get that organised for you.
He may request a series images on the car also showing the vin number on the base of the windscreen. When CCCUK chairman I did perhaps 30 or 40 confirmation letters for members virtually all of these were accepted by DVLA.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Okay I am now a member, but I don't see an obvious way to direct message... I just tried the age calculator and it estimates 31st of July 1981.

Welcome to the club and many happy hours of Corvetteing :) If the date is 31st July 1981 then obviously it is not 40 years old yet , so from memory I think you will not get Historic Vehicle status from DVLA until after April 1st. next year . Good luck with the DVLA as it can be a notoriously long winded process .

Rich

Administrator
Paul - welcome to the CCCUK and thank you for joining.
I have sent you an email this morning about the DVLA letter.

Dellb

CCCUK Member
I had this issue last year. Ross kindly provided a letter but DVLA rejected it. Eventually I got a copy of the build date from the GM heritage centre, which the DVLA could not reject and accepted it as proof. If you get stuck, go to them.

Delb

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
If the date on your V5C is 1st Jan 1981, then your historic status starts on 1st April 2021
see the DVLA website info. and don't let them make you wait until next year - which is their default position

antijam

CCCUK Member
If the date on your V5C is 1st Jan 1981, then your historic status starts on 1st April 2021
see the DVLA website info. and don't let them make you wait until next year - which is their default position
The OP stated that the date of 01/01/81 is on his purchase document. If that date appears on the V5C as the date of first registration then you're right. It's the date of manufacture that determines eligibility for historic status and since the car cannot be registered before it's built, the date of first registration counts.