Easy front spring install.

Corvette

Well-known user
I’ve just retro fitted the original spindle and drum brake to the front of my 63, it had discs upfront which as we know may stop the car but not year correct. Some of you will remember me posting about the front spring install procedure before but I will show it again as I can’t believe how quick and easy it is.

You will need this type of spring compressor from ebay or the like circa £20 a pair although you only use 1.

93D11735-DBFD-44CD-B74B-A62DD4932A1D.jpeg

Next remove shock absorber and drop the threaded part of clamp through the upper shocker hole in frame with a large washer on with grease.655DAA91-7821-41A3-A574-8665D8CC47BE.jpeg

Slip the clamp levers up through the lower A arm shocker hole and screw the thread to it. Make sure the slightly longer clamp leveris to outside of car. Now with either an air gun,.socket set or lengthy 3/4” spanner (spanner will make you warm) start tightening up the thread until spring is released from lower a arm. At this point the spring is tightly clamped up to frame cup. The ball joints can now be separated from the spindle upright. Hinge the lower a arm down, unscrew thread and spring is out. Install is the reverse procedure. upright out and upright in took me 30 minutes a side with no issues, all relaxed (for a change).E8433FBE-7CF6-46EE-9EAD-4ED34192063A.jpeg

Last edited:

Nick B

CCCUK Member
I’ve just retro fitted the original spindle and drum brake to the front of my 63, it had discs upfront which as we know may stop the car but not year correct. Some of you will remember me posting about the front spring install procedure before but I will show it again as I can’t believe how quick and easy it is.

You will need this type of spring compressor from ebay or the like circa £20 a pair although you only use 1.

View attachment 9242

Next remove shock absorber and drop the threaded part of clamp through the upper shocker hole in frame with a large washer on with grease.View attachment 9243

Slip the clamp levers up through the lower A arm shocker hole and screw the thread to it. Make sure the slightly longer clamp leveris to outside of car. Now with either an air gun,.socket set or lengthy 3/4” spanner (spanner will make you warm) start tightening up the thread until spring is released from lower a arm. At this point the spring is tightly clamped up to frame cup. The ball joints can now be separated from the spindle upright. Hinge the lower a arm down, unscrew thread and spring is out. Install is the reverse procedure. upright out and upright in took me 30 minutes a side with no issues, all relaxed (for a change).View attachment 9244
Great post, thanks.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Thanks for that. I was discussing the spring removal with a friend last weekend, he hadn't seen the "internal" type of compressors used on a Corvette.

I'll have to point him in the direction of this thread! (y)

Corvette

Well-known user
Forrest, awaiting Oneballs reply......I've used F41 550lbs on a 68 conv and had a 330lb composite spring on rear. That was a small block car and it was a set up I favour, so much so that I have a set of F41 for a special build. 550lb never shock my teeth out and the car sat right.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Forrest, awaiting Oneballs reply......I've used F41 550lbs on a 68 conv and had a 330lb composite spring on rear. That was a small block car and it was a set up I favour, so much so that I have a set of F41 for a special build. 550lb never shock my teeth out and the car sat right.
As it happens I've got some 550lb front coils on order for my (SB) car. I'm expecting it be firm obviously but with the highly regarded Bilstein shocks will hopefully make it civilised.
I'm going for a 360lb composite at the back.

Good write-up re the spring compressor btw. I'm afraid I used the trolley jack method with a rope lashed around the spring a few times...just in case! Hell of an amount of energy in those front springs when compressed. Which ever way you do it you've got to put trust in the equipment, and breath a sigh of relief when they're in / out.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Yes "Hell of an amount of energy in those front springs" and can strip threads (long nuts are better) it happened to my friend on the back of his 69 he was under the car adjusting the rear spring height when all of a sudden the threads in the nut on the end bolt gave way and voila could have been very nasty.

Corvette

Well-known user
Two years ago I went a bit quiet. The angle grinder kicked back and went onto my stomach. Needless to say I now always have the guard on but my modelling career is over. Accidents will happen.

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Two years ago I went a bit quiet. The angle grinder kicked back and went onto my stomach. Needless to say I now always have the View attachment 9249guard on but my modelling career is over. Accidents will happen.
Ooooh ! Nasty one , we often use grinders without guards for better access. Slways use face shield and suede gloves , worse thing is as we get older our grip isnt as strong as in our youth , angle grinders have a lot of torque and are not very ergonomic so never feel that secure in our grip , better with the side handle on if you can. I font like the damn things and are A feature in many nasty accidents. . Be careful out there coevetters 👍

Roscobbc

As it happens I've got some 550lb front coils on order for my (SB) car. I'm expecting it be firm obviously but with the highly regarded Bilstein shocks will hopefully make it civilised.
I'm going for a 360lb composite at the back.

Good write-up re the spring compressor btw. I'm afraid I used the trolley jack method with a rope lashed around the spring a few times...just in case! Hell of an amount of energy in those front springs when compressed. Which ever way you do it you've got to put trust in the equipment, and breath a sigh of relief when they're in / out.
Mine was originally F41 spec. - so 550lbs front and 315 lb 7 leaf rear? - super rare oem F41 shockers are long gone. Have to say that if my 'fronts' are 550lbs and they haven't 'softened -up' over the years I wouldn't say they are too harsh - possibly a fraction too soft for Europead tastes perhaps.....?