Electrical & fault codes driving me mad!

C6newbie

CCCUK Member
Newbie to the Corvette ownership, so I am not an expert at all, need help with following:
C6, 2005
Purchased Dec 19,
Car drove perfectly, for 6 weeks, not a fault at all,
Have replaced brakes, drop links, and service items, plugs, oil etc.

Had suspect alternator, so replaced with a mechman,

Now getting intermittent fault ‘traction control, reduced power’ sometimes the electric die completely, leaving coasting to side of road, or in limp mode!

Have now refitted old alternator, which is charging at 12.5v-14v driving

Have replaced battery, as old one was at 60% live

Today, after 200mile trip, she shut down again, on M25!

Now I am no expert on electrics, ignorant to it to be honest, but if the voltage isn’t right, I am guessing it could throw up all sorts of faults!

When car dies, battery & alternator very hot! Could this be a resistance problem? Earthing points?

Thanks in advance, absolutely LOVE the Vette, but starting to lose confidence in her!!!!

Steve W

Oneball

CCCUK Member
A battery will get warm in normal use. But if it’s getting really hot that usually means it is being overcharged by the alternator.

Sounds like there’s a different issue with the new alternator, are you sure it was wired securely?

C6newbie

CCCUK Member
Mechman alternator was plug n play, but pumping out 15+volts!

No wiring change, I’m edging towards the earthpoints, which I have cleaned under the bonnet,
Just seems weird these error codes are appearing, what I consider easy jobs, after the full service and new alternator, now reverted back to original alternator, set up, but the errors now continue?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Id go with what you were planning next, check the earths, including those under the bonnet and to battery.

If you got a multimeter see what the voltage is at the battery with the engine running straight after starting, a little while latter and also with some load such as lights on. If the alternator is working correctly it should keep the voltage between roughly 12.5 and 14.5v

Was the new alternator specifically for a C6? With it being a modern car I’d not be surprised if the ECU controlled it to some degree and maybe your replacement wasn’t compatible.

Was it cutting out before you changed the alternator? Worst case is you may have fried something

Slick

Well-known user
On a 2005 C6 the body earth is below the battery and a leaking battery can drop acid onto the earth lead/union , I'd look there first and while looking there check/clean the engine earth too