Exciting day - rebuild of 78 coupe

johng

CCCUK Member
Funnily enough we had an Essex area zoom meeting this week and pink was suggested then. I would love to tell you, but Ross wants to know, so I'm keeping it a secret just to be awkward! Hopefully all will be revealed in a couple of weeks and hopefully I'll be as pleased with the final result as I am with the work so far.

Roscobbc

And its a secret.........................
url
url
Secret-Information-OG.png

johng

CCCUK Member
So I now have some colour on my car :) :) :) The bonnet, front bumper, wing mirrors and fuel cap cover still need to painted, plus a little dash of a second colour, so hopefully I'll be able to pick it up at the end of lockdown. I'm no expert, but the paint quality looks even better than I was hoping for, it's really deep and glossy.

IMG-20201117-WA0001 (2).jpg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
To quote Noel Coward, ā€œeverybody in the world is bentā€.

Looking down the side thereā€™s no ripples in the paint, the reflections arenā€™t distorted, itā€™s been prepared well.

Corvette

Well-known user
Looking good. Ghost Daytona stripes? Regarding your tranny reverse problem, I had the same, reverse worked when cold and top gear if you where quick. When warm no third gear no reverse. Tried everything only to be told third and reverse share same band or clutch thingy so removed it and took it for rebuild circa Ā£800.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Yes, you are supposed to have it up to full operating temp. I've been leaving it ticking over for 15 or 20 mins. Might be it's not fully hot, I'll be able to take it for a proper drive when it's all rebuilt and re-check the level then.
May be worth trying a transmission filter and fluid change. I had a slipping gear in a merc sprinter autobox, this got it going for another three months. Granted i then lost reverse and had the box rebuilt. The tech said the damage is done when the box is slipping so avoid that, worth 75 quid to try fluid and filter first as may get a bit more life before the big outlay of a rebuild, šŸ‘

johng

CCCUK Member
May be worth trying a transmission filter and fluid change. I had a slipping gear in a merc sprinter autobox, this got it going for another three months. Granted i then lost reverse and had the box rebuilt. The tech said the damage is done when the box is slipping so avoid that, worth 75 quid to try fluid and filter first as may get a bit more life before the big outlay of a rebuild, šŸ‘
I've already done a filter and fluid change, of course it is possible I managed to put the filter on back to front! My painter has been moving the car around his workshop without any issues so I'm hoping it was just an air lock and everything is fine now, but more likely he is just not running it for long enough for it to warm up.

johng

CCCUK Member
Looking good. Ghost Daytona stripes? Regarding your tranny reverse problem, I had the same, reverse worked when cold and top gear if you where quick. When warm no third gear no reverse. Tried everything only to be told third and reverse share same band or clutch thingy so removed it and took it for rebuild circa Ā£800.
I don't think so, but then I'm not sure what Ghost Daytona stripes are! Sounds like I might have the same problem as you did. I wouldn't mind learning how to rebuild a gearbox but not sure where I'm going to find the time. My wife wants the bathroom gutting and replacing after Christmas and now she wants me to build a swimming pool as well! Being retired is such a busy job.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
That blue is looking good. Is there an element of "metallic" in it? What colour upholstery do you have, or be fitting? Look forward to seeing the finished article.

johng

CCCUK Member
Hi Steve, yes it's a metallic. My interior is Oyster although I'm going to fit dark blue carpets and seat belts.