Exciting day - rebuild of 78 coupe

johng

CCCUK Member
Well the weather was pretty gloomy here today, but I was very very excited, as the prodigal car returned from the painters! It needs a clean up and then I've got to decide what to do next. Think I might adopt TimP's scatter gun approach :)

Attachments

• IMG_20201129_110720650.jpg
    IMG_20201129_110720650.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 2

johng

CCCUK Member
I was just wondering as they aren’t on but I guess that’s a good thing. I know a guy who picked up his Tuscan from paint and forgot to secure the roof panel and it blew off!
They would definitely have blown off as they don't have any latches on them at the moment, they are just a couple of sheets of fibreglass.

johng

CCCUK Member
Been putting a few random bits back on the car. Started with the wing mirrors as they are freshly painted and I thought I'd be less likely to scratch them if they were fitted. Also did the fuel filler flap for the same reason and the badge on that looked good so I put the one on the front of the car as well. Liking the look of a bit of bling, I decided to fit the passenger door handle and lock and while I was at it I refitted the passenger door window. I need to move the car over to do the drivers side, but it was raining and I didn't want to get my new paint wet! How did they fit the door handles on the assembly line? I've got small hands and it was a real fiddle getting the nuts and clips on. Talking of difficult access I also aligned the front bumper and did up all the fixings. In comparison the rear bumper was dead easy. I also fitted front and rear side marker lights and the rubber blocks that bend the bonnet to match the wing. Afraid I was too busy to take any photos, will try and do better in future.

johng

CCCUK Member
Well I've had very little to do while I was waiting for the painter, so I'm making up for it now. Won't last long as "she who must be obeyed" has plans for me.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Looking good! I wish I knew an easy way to remove and re-fit the door latches - mine could do with a bit of a re-furb and grease!:oops::)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Been there and done that when I replaced the door handles on mine too . What a nightmare job ! And I have small hands for a bloke too . The car might be purple but the air was certainly blue :mad:

johng

CCCUK Member
Didn't get too much done today, just put the wires back into the doors, fitted the aerial and started cleaning up the interior of the car. Did take some photos though.
Bonnet all lined up

Door handle, window and mirror

Bumpers

On a different note, when my car was registered in the UK they clearly got the engine number wrong. My log book says the engine number is 217CUT. This photo shows my real engine number, but should it be VO217CUT 18S421689 or just 18S421689?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The 18 bit is the unique part engine and should tie with you VIN

The VO bit designates manufacturing plant, date of manufacture and type.

Looks gorgeous. :love:

See it’s got the comfort seat option;)

johng

CCCUK Member
It is numbers matching, don't know how they failed to notice that when they were looking for the engine number. Do you think the cover will scratch the paint then?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
It is numbers matching, don't know how they failed to notice that when they were looking for the engine number. Do you think the cover will scratch the paint then?

Yes. Especially at the moment where the paint will still be soft.