Fitted New Shock Absorbers to my 1989 C4

Braeburn 22

CCCUK Member
Just fitted new Bilstein B6 shock absorbers to my 89 C4 (non Z51) to replace the old KONI Shocks, what a difference, gone has the harsh ride and skittishness on bumps.

the old KONI's may have been better if you wanted a really firm ride, but for the roads in Scotland these are a dramatic improvement, only took about 30 minutes per corner to change and didn't even have to remove the front wheels.

Making good use of my time in Lockdown :)

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Just fitted new Bilstein B6 shock absorbers to my 89 C4 (non Z51) to replace the old KONI Shocks, what a difference, gone has the harsh ride and skittishness on bumps.

Good job/Interesting! Were the Bilstein "B6" shocks recommended on a Corvette forum website?/were the Konis the original OE shocks you think? As you know, the Z51 equipped C4s had Bilstein shocks as standard, and it was an option for non-Z51 cars.

Braeburn 22

CCCUK Member
The B6s were recommended as an upgrade on rockauto and corvetteforum, apparently the B8s are for the Z51, I believe the konis were fitted by a previous owner, I think you're right about the bilsteins being an upgrade originally or according to most on the corvetteforum were original fitments.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Hi Braeburn, I can't actually see that from the chart (unless I have missed something)? But, as you mentioned above, it shows that there were two versions of the Bilsteins, the Z51 ones presumably "stiffer." See that 1988 was the last year of the Z52 option and 1989 first year of the FX3 option. Anyway, a '89 "digi-dash" a great year to have. (y)

Last edited:

Braeburn 22

CCCUK Member
Hi

At the bottom of the chart there is the legend that interprets the numbers in the shock absorber column, and it states #3 against 89 cpeFE3, that the dampers are Delco/Belstein.

What I found interesting was the ZR1s had unique springs and once after 1992 the spring rates for even the Z51 were significantly lower.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
At the bottom of the chart there is the legend that interprets the numbers in the shock absorber column, and it states #3 against 89 cpeFE3, that the dampers are Delco/Belstein.

Ah OK/Thanks Braeburn. I had seen the legend, but hadn't noticed the scroll bar at the bottom of the chart to show that column. (y) I had the (yellow) Bilsteins in my '85 Z51. Also put a smaller/thicker rim Momo steering wheel on mine, and with the quicker Z51 steering rack (2 turns lock to lock), really felt "go-cart" like. As you no doubt know, the steering wheel diameter was reduced slightly from 1986 (and thicker rim I think?)

Attachments

• IMG_1429.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 3

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Bilstein B6 and B8 shocks are valved the same but the B8 is slightly shorter in length and are for lower ride height cars.
The same two shocks are offered for C3s to suit a stock or lowered height

Redlevel

Well-known user
I fitted KYB's all round a couple of years ago when I changed the front camber from randomly stock +ve, to 1deg -ve on my '87 and added a bit more +ve caster too.. (easy quick job with an 18mm spanner), just perfect for the Ayrshire roads, especially the A77 coast road with its sweeping curves. 👍85b0e7b5_64b8_4d43_a60b_e1662f0dc05c_0e8a440b9380fb48458a550f75d4a44b0730f62d.png

Last edited: