Fuse #6 blowing

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
Afternoon

So, a few weeks ago driving home at night I lost my interior and rear lights. Brake lights/all other lights were fine.

Done some reaearch, replaced the multi function switch and noticed that fuse 6 (parking lights/interior lights) had blown so replaced this as well. All was well, lights back to working normal.

Next time driving with the lights on, fuse blew again, and here we are!

I have radioflyer front and rear lights and have checked all the connections/bulb holders. One of the rear bulb holders has the smallest amount of corrosion inside one of the contacts but hardly noticable. Cannot see any pinched wires or obvious signs of damage.

The lights work whilst parked, have cycled through all combinations of having various lights on with the engine running for 20mins or so and no issues at all, however as soon as I drive with the parking lights on (one click on the stalk) the fuse blows within a few minutes. Driving without the lights in doesn't blow the fuse.

I've looked over in the US sites and just wonder if anyone here has any suggestions in how to narrow this down as right now I'm stuck!

craigyboy

CCCUK Member
You have a bare wire somewhere and that is shorting out when the lights on.. Fuse wont blow when the lights are off as no power and when you drive with the lights on there is vibrations and loom either is touching the frame rails or another wire in the car and this causes the wire to short. You will just have to check the harnesses. Check from steering column and work your way back

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
You have a bare wire somewhere and that is shorting out when the lights on.. Fuse wont blow when the lights are off as no power and when you drive with the lights on there is vibrations and loom either is touching the frame rails or another wire in the car and this causes the wire to short. You will just have to check the harnesses. Check from steering column and work your way back

Cheers, I'm wondering if it may be the steering column wiring as I had that apart to change the multi function switch. Had the rear light harness out and also moved it around with the car on and no signs of issues.

Sea5

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Steve, this sounds familiar and I just might save you a huge amount of hassle!
I have just posted my story which I hope will help resolve your problem.
I'm interested to learn what year, Euro or USA import your C5 is?
Please let me know how you get on.
Will you be at The Nationals? I will be there all weekend and shall bring the C5 this time.

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
Hi Steve, this sounds familiar and I just might save you a huge amount of hassle!
I have just posted my story which I hope will help resolve your problem.
I'm interested to learn what year, Euro or USA import your C5 is?
Please let me know how you get on.
Will you be at The Nationals? I will be there all weekend and shall bring the C5 this time.

Thanks for your reply, and I salute you for your perceverance with your issue! Over a year fault finding I think I'd have set light to the car :LOL:

So I worked my way through all your suggestions and unfortunately the connectors looked fine, no obvious issue with the ground like in yours. I literally went through every connection and ground from the lights back that I could find and nothing obvious, althiught he ground points in the engine bay do look a little grim. I've tidied them up but may do what you've done at some point.

Since doing all this I've had it out a few times and SO FAR it hasn't blown. So annoying I'm not 100% on what the issue was but I'm leaning towards those ground points.

Thanks for the suggestions, will update if anything else comes up.

Sea5

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for your reply, and I salute you for your perceverance with your issue! Over a year fault finding I think I'd have set light to the car :LOL:

So I worked my way through all your suggestions and unfortunately the connectors looked fine, no obvious issue with the ground like in yours. I literally went through every connection and ground from the lights back that I could find and nothing obvious, althiught he ground points in the engine bay do look a little grim. I've tidied them up but may do what you've done at some point.

Since doing all this I've had it out a few times and SO FAR it hasn't blown. So annoying I'm not 100% on what the issue was but I'm leaning towards those ground points.

Thanks for the suggestions, will update if anything else comes up.
Hi Steve
10 weeks have passed. One has to assume all is ok now and the problem has gone away?. If so, by checking all the connector blocks and cleaning all the earths, you my have fixed it. Can you update us, please?