Harmonic balancer

Richard Evans

CCCUK Member
Owning my first Corvette 2007 LS2 with 35k on the clock. I have read on other forums of problems with the Harmonic balancer. Should i consider changing it considering the age of the car. If it was to fail what damage could it result in TIA.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The real issue is the bolt that clamps it to the end of the crank is a torque to yield type
Once it is first installed and torqued down, the bolt stretches and cannot be torqued or used again

If it gets loose or some lazy guy reuses it, the balancer gets loose and effects the belts attached to it
If too loose (belt) then water pump will not function and cause coolant overheats

Problem is that is a long bolt and very little space to get to it and the steering rack has to be loosened and moved
aside, to gain the room to properly install a new bolt
Keep watch like at idle to see if the balancer does not wobble and belts are tight.

Torque to yield bolt is a one time use and must be replaced once if it gets loose and lazy guys instead use like
a red locker on used bolt threads but then when really needing to get the bolt out it will be hell to get loose and out

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
Had mine go a while ago. Fortunately it was at idle at a car show, it bike apart and fell against the steering rack. I stopped the car straight away and called the AA (that's another story).
I would keep an eye on it but not change it unless it became a problem. The main ways of knowing it's about to go is a) a wobble while idling. b) the drive belt squealing on start up, something I didn't realise till it was too late.

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
Had mine go a while ago. Fortunately it was at idle at a car show, it bike apart and fell against the steering rack. I stopped the car straight away and called the AA (that's another story).
I would keep an eye on it but not change it unless it became a problem. The main ways of knowing it's about to go is a) a wobble while idling. b) the drive belt squealing on start up, something I didn't realise till it was too late.
That's my thinking too. I changed mine due to changing the broken chain tensioner, so 'whilst in there' I changed lifters, oil pump, thermostat, water pump, chain and sprockets, seals, harmonic balancer (Powerbond Race), ARP bolt etc. My engine had covered 5 times what yours has done though, so no need to panic. :)

craigyboy

CCCUK Member
only change it if it has excess wobble, If you ever do get it changed go for an ARP replacement HB bolt as it can be used more than once. I have a powerbond HB and ARP bolt