Headers

Oneball

CCCUK Member
If they’re mounted to the existing headers then you’ll need new brackets. Im not sure on the exact set up on a 1980 though.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
If the alternator and ac compressor are the type that are mounted to the original cast iron headers then yes you’ll need different mounts for them.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I have standard cast iron headers on my 1980 and they have no bearing on the way the air co compressor or alternator are mounted on their brackets if that helps ..

Vetman

CCCUK Member
How did this work out? Are you happy with the side pipe system. Any advice for system selection, choice of material, noise levels, problems in fitting or maintenance, spark plug access, steering gear clearance. I am considering side pipes, being a hooligan at heart, and do I need asbestos long socks? I have the Steroids rack and pinion on my 75 so might have a clash with the headers. Any knowledge? Did you have to cut away any bodywork or trim?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
How did this work out? Are you happy with the side pipe system. Any advice for system selection, choice of material, noise levels, problems in fitting or maintenance, spark plug access, steering gear clearance. I am considering side pipes, being a hooligan at heart, and do I need asbestos long socks? I have the Steroids rack and pinion on my 75 so might have a clash with the headers. Any knowledge? Did you have to cut away any bodywork or trim?
I have sidepipes on my C3. I used Hedman Headers, and like it says above they don't have the alternator bracket mount on it. So you'll need to fabricate your own (my local garage did that). No issues fitting the headers, they slotted right in as advertised. Then from them backwards (or sidewards? :unsure: ) the rest of the exhaust is custom stainless steel. As such it all fits perfectly, though you can't fit much silencer under the standard side pipe covers like I have. So it is a bit loud. The standard covers like I have means your can touch the covers when the engine is running and won't burn to death. They are warm, but not burnable. If you have sidepipes without covers, then yes you will burn. No bodywork needed to be cutaway or anything for my system to fit. As such you could revert it back to a normal rear exhaust if you wish.

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the reply. I like the look of your covers in the thumbnail. I have stainless 1-5/8” headers connected via flexible s/s to rear pipes and Magnaflow boxes. The downward angle of the collectors force the flexible downwards before it curves upwards. I have developed ‘clenched buttock syndrome’ due to contact with local speed bumps. Your side pipes look to have good ground clearance.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Yeah, I don't seem to have issues going over speedbumps thankfully - annoying where the car used to live was a set of speedbumps on the road the garage was on. So always had to drive on them when I went out. Where it is now, no speedbumps at all.