Hello

Cappo

New user
Hi all, just thought it would be polite to introduce myself as I've just joined up. Hope this is the right area to post in.

The C3 has been a bit of a halo car for me since the 1970s and I'm currently in the position of being able to buy one (well, almost, other than the fact that I seem to have a bad habit of buying things but not selling them, so driveway space is at a bit of a premium!). I live quite close to what was Claremonts, but didn't take much advantage of that at the time other than having my old LS2 Monaro serviced there.

I can't recall the last time I didn't have a few V8s in my life, always been a bit of a thing, but the ones I have currently are products of the dreaded green oval :oops: - more about that another time.

I've seen a few C3s that I would be out looking at if we weren't under lock & key but once that lifts then hopefully I'll get a chance to view some.

I'll leave it at that for now before you all fall asleep reading!

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Welcome Cappo!

There is a wealth of experience within the members on the forum and also in the Kent region. Gary and John, our Reps there, will no doubt be able to help point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Mark

Cappo

New user
Thanks for the replies.

I’d prefer a later C3 without the chrome bumpers although I gather from looking around that this makes me something of a heretic! :D Probably an auto but I’m not fixed on that. Coupe, not soft top. How are the t-tops generally for leaking?

I’ve yet to get my head around all the engine options, I’m not too fussy but I don’t want one that’s strangled by emissions equipment.

Budget is £15-20k which looks like it will give me some options?

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
Welcome to the club..... I would recommend you to buy the Black Book which will help you to 'home in' on a C3 to sit you.
J.C. (1911)

Cappo

New user
Hi and welcome, are you the same 'Cappo' that used to own a Fiat Coupe 20VT? :)

Hi Dave - yes, the very same. Although it's not so much "used to" as "still do"! Were you around when Carl T did the resto work on mine? I still have it, it's been about 12 years since he did that, (I think it went to him in about 2006 and came back in 2008). I'm slightly embarrassed to say that it's an utter garage queen though, the flip side being that it is still in amazing condition. We've done one long trip in it, to the Lingotto factory in Milan and then to the Lakes and the Alps, a few years back, but apart from that it only seems to manage a few hundred miles a year, which is a little shameful. My wife also still has one.

I did read your exploits and escapades about buying your Corvette on PH, that sounded like quite an experience!

@Jack Cooper - could you point me in the direction of the black book please?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Hi Cappo

I’m beginning to like the later C3 more and more. Especially the really late ones with the big rear window

Good luck with the search.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the replies.

I’d prefer a later C3 without the chrome bumpers although I gather from looking around that this makes me something of a heretic! :D Probably an auto but I’m not fixed on that. Coupe, not soft top. How are the t-tops generally for leaking?......

Good man! The soft bumper cars are what the "sharks" should always have been!

T-Tops can and do leak, but usually new rubber seals can stop that, readily available and not too hard to change. Slightly limited engine options on the later soft bumper cars, but as said, at teh very least get a copy of The Black Book and something like Tom Falconers 1968 -82 Corvette book and get fully familiar before you look at any for sale.

Decide what you want from teh car - a nice "driver", a car to use for weekends away, European tours etc, a show-car, or some sort of "hot rod". That'll help you choose the right car.