HUD stopped working.

JetJock

CCCUK Member
It appeared to turn itself on one day - I hadn't got round to trying it.
I turned it off eventually, then it won't come back on.
Any obvious fixes or connections to check, please?
Seems likely to be some kind of intermittent connection, I guess, given that it just came on one day.
Thanks for any help.
Loving driving the car! :)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Have you turned the dimmer switch for HUD back/forth and noticed any changes ?
Moved the screen up/down and see what that does ?

Checked the HUD 15 AMP fuse ? (fuse panel next to BCM in hatch of passenger floor)
Maybe loose connections for 12 volts or ground

Here is HUD schematic for C6s

HUDC6.jpg

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Thank you kindly Mr Zeee.
The diagram above shows a HUD SWITCH (bottom right on the schematic), but I've never found one, only the dimmer selectors (UP / DOWN). There isn't a separate switch, is there?
When it was working, the dimmers and up / down position switches seemed to work fine.
I cannot find a fuse labelled for the HUD. I've tried pulling / resetting any that are 15 A. Nope.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The switch you mention is the MODE switch at the top

C6HUDswitch.jpg

The fuse (Cluster/HUD) is as I show in the layout of the fuse panel by BCM in floor

hudfuse.jpg

JetJock

CCCUK Member
But there is no switch that turns the HUD on and off, is there?
You turn it off only by selecting minimum dim - correct?

The Mode switch selects one of the 3 modes, but there is no OFF setting at that switch, I think.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Right
Only dimming down low would look like HUD is off
That switch mount should come off easy and then with a multi meter and the wiring drawing above you can see if
the voltage and ground is there, and the wiring harness is fully plugged in

I do not know what could be an issue if in one of the other modes, so might push it 2-3 times when you set the dimmer high and
see if HUD screen shows anything

Alexm

CCCUK Member
On my 2006 the hud just stopped working while driving, tried the fuses and holding the up down and dimmer switches for longer, but no joy.
Looked at getting to the plug into the unit, when looking up on us forum realised how involved this would be.
So took a chance and bought one from riks corvette breakers us(100€+27 to uk)
Bit of a daunting task looking at vids, but as long as your patient, not that bad.
Does involve undoing a few small bolts by feel as can’t be seen.(all in about an hour and a half)
Plugged new unit in and worked perfect, so put it all back together and working fine.
Turned out the brackets that hold the mirror had corroded and mirror had dropped in front of the display from the pcb.
No idea why the bracket had rusted away as unit was still sealed and rest of it is perfect.

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Coming back to this issue, now I've fitted the brakes.
Can anybody please advise how to remove that switch unit to the left of the steering wheel, please?
Thought I'd try there next.
The problem seemed to me to most likely to be electrical connection related, as the HUD either worked fine, or totally went, rather randomly. I would have thought that a broken mirror would not permit the unit to work at all, rather than working intermittently. That said, haven't seen it for quite a while now, though...

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Well, I got the connector plug off the back of the switch unit to the left of the steering wheel. But I'm none the wiser.
Should I connect the multimeter to the BK (earth) wire and the L-GN (HUD dimming UP) wire and check for voltage? Amperage? Er... electrics really not my thing.
Or, is the BK at the bottom of the diagram the live in, and the E above it to the left is the earth (BN)? Connect those two to the multimeter?
I guess I could take it to an auto-electrician with a print out of that wiring diagram above and ask them to check it?
Or, just do without the HUD :(

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You did not state if you checked the HUD fuse as I showed above

If wanting to know if the HUD controller is getting ground and voltage
Using a D/C volt meter, put red probe to connector pin # 1 which is red/white wire and gets 12 volts from fuse
Other meter black probe to pin 6 which is black and is ground

Meter should show 12 volts then when key on/ engine off

HUDC6b.jpg

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Perfect. Thank you very much for the detailed assistance there, ZR-1. It's all back together now, but I'll try that soon.
Yes, I did check the fuse. I've read elsewhere that other stuff goes through that fuse which should also be failed if the fuse has gone.

I have noticed that all the switches both sides of the instrument panel don't seem to illuminate now. I thought the ones on the right used to, but I don't think the ones on the left ever did... (I mean the switches that are, on the left: HUD: MODE - PAGE - UP - DOWN - PLUS - MINUS. And, on the right, the trip and settings selections. All the switches on the right side work, they just don't illuminate).

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Just to be in sync with you

1. was HUD working and then stopped or never worked since you got it
2. If never working, is it possible last owner replaced windshield and did not put a HUD one in
3. Use the "+" key on HUD controls several times or hold down and see if HUD screen shows up at all ( best to do with no sunlight)
4. also try with the "-" button

Try the dimmer switch full on and off
dimmer.jpg

With you standing outside look through windshield while someone uses the UP and down HUD buttons and see if the mirror
correctly moves and the mirror pivot bracket did not break

There are many features & settings that can be personalized for an individual fob -- including the HUD position & dimming level
The HUD should work day or night. The HUD brightness will change with the lights on, and it is tied to the fob memory settings. If your HUD does not come on at night, it is possible that someone set the HUD to dim at night and the memory settings are keeping it that way.

Start the car of a night, press the HUD "+" key to bring the brightness level up and see if you can see the HUD and shut the car off.
The next time you start the car, it should stay that way.

DIC Vehicle Personalization

Many features on your vehicle can be personalized.
This means that the operation of these features can be set to operate differently depending on who is driving
the vehicle. See “Personal Options” later in this section for the features that you can personalize.
The personalization settings for other features are automatically updated and saved as the driver adjusts them.
These include the following settings and presets:

• The radio presets, tone, volume, fade, balance, equalization (EQ) settings and source (radio or CD)
• The last climate control setting
The Head-Up Display (HUD) position and dimming level, if your vehicle has this feature
• The instrument panel cluster dimming level and last selected DIC display
Separate personalization settings are saved for two different drivers. One of the keyless access

transmitters is assigned to driver
1. The other is assigned to driver
2. The back of the keyless access transmitters are labelled 1 or 2 to correspond to each
driver.

Last edited:

JetJock

CCCUK Member
You are a real gentleman, Team ZR-1, and I thank you for all of that. Basically, it turned itself on one day while I was driving, worked normally, then, when I dimmed it after a couple of days, it never came back. That was months ago.

But now - new development!

Today, after fiddling with the connector behind the HUD switches yesterday, I start the car: No HUD - same as it's been since it stopped working a few months ago.

I turn the headlamps on: HUD WORKS! :0 First time in several months. It moves up and down, it dims and brightens, and all the modes seem OK (except the oil pressure and temperature readings on the Track selections seem to be zero).

I pull out of my garage and select reverse: HUD extinguishes. "OK" I think, "Maybe it only works in forward gears." (mine's a manual)

I select a forward gear: No HUD... Mmmm, disappointing. SNAFU.

I turn off the traction control: The HUD comes back, but positioned lower, and dimmed! I raise and brighten it.

Then, I drive the car for shopping and fuel, with several shut downs and starts. It's a very wet, rainy day. The HUD works perfectly...

Naturally, I'm going to leave it well alone and see what happens over the next few days.

As a bonus, the SRS / Airbag light had been coming on intermittently - fiddling with the connector under the seat seems to have fixed that item.

All systems go at the moment. :)