Hurst shifter vibration

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all , I have been reading about how common it is for the hurst shifters to suffer from rattles and vibrations. There seems to be many suggested causes and cures for this well documented issue. Anyone here suffered from this and managed to resolve it in a particular fashion ? 👍

Roscobbc

Tbh - I thought is was the stock shifters that suffered from that....presumably due to worn external shift levers and rods?

Last edited:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Mine is about 40 years old, I put new steel bushes in and it doesn’t rattle or vibrate at all. If anything I think they’re way over sprung. I really don’t like the change from 3rd to 2nd.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Mine is about 40 years old, I put new steel bushes in and it doesn’t rattle or vibrate at all. If anything I think they’re way over sprung. I really don’t like the change from 3rd to 2nd.
Some are adamant that it is just the knob at the top of the shifter, others that it is under the gaiter where they put a half tennis ball down the shaft to dampen the vibrations, mine feels too harsh and may have been the reason the bolt rattled out of the mainshaft bearing support. Pos that shaft bearing gone bad and vibrating and hence loosened the bolt. All hypothetical til I get in there and pull the motor or box. Still trying to locate one of the flange kits to make the crossmember removeable as i want to do it all at the same time.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I can’t understand how the ball would rattle. There’s nothing in it???
Nor can I , I removed mine and made sure it was tight but if you google it there are scores of people in the states discussing this and lots of other causes , it is obviously a very common issue. 👍

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have a Hurst shifter on my 1968. It very slightly vibrates, but not much to worry me at all and I forget it does it most of the time. Except annoyingly around 70mph in 4th it resonates I think, a little bit slower and it goes, a little bit faster and it goes. Gear shifts are all good though.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I have a Hurst shifter on my 1968. It very slightly vibrates, but not much to worry me at all and I forget it does it most of the time. Except annoyingly around 70mph in 4th it resonates I think, a little bit slower and it goes, a little bit faster and it goes. Gear shifts are all good though.
👍

Roscobbc

Harmonic sympathy.........part of the shifter linkage may be vibratiing (in fact I'd say most certainly) in 'sympathy' with something else in the engine of your drive train........a modified, 'cammy' engine doesn't help. I can recall when I had my modded 7 litre Galaxie the stock 4 speed shifter would rattle like hell over about 50 mph ( I would just hold the shifter to dampen the sound) - I's be tempted to consider inspecting the rubeer engine and gearbox mounts to see if replacing with poly might help. A slightly out of balance prop shaft could feasibly create a vibration train though to the gearbox........

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
You‘re lucky if something doesn’t vibrate somewhere on a C3, especially if it’s cammed! My clutch pedal vibrates annoyingly when stationary, think I’m missing a spring on the Z bar perhaps. Not sure if it does or not when I’m moving….there too many other noises going on.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
You‘re lucky if something doesn’t vibrate somewhere on a C3, especially if it’s cammed! My clutch pedal vibrates annoyingly when stationary, think I’m missing a spring on the Z bar perhaps. Not sure if it does or not when I’m moving….there too many other noises going on.
^^ this exactly. The small plastic "window" over the cold air / fan controls just in front of the gearstick somehow annoyingly buzzes really loud until I poke it a bit and it'll stop for a while. The top of centre console used to vibrate a lot until I put padding around it, and something over by the passenger door vibrates but me driving it means I can't diagnose it. Have tried asking the wife when she's a passenger, but all she says is: "WHAT? I CAN HARDLY HEAR YOU!". :cool: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: