knock offs that wont knock off

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
i have one of those german tool thngs attached to a torque wrench attached to a scaffold pole and no joy. i have tried the lead mallet thing. no joy. i just get them loose so i cant change the tyres. anyone got any tips

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Are you turning them the correct way?

Use a bigger hammer. Thor Hammer, still made in the West Mids are the tool of choice

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
yes they have the direction on them. it might be i need a much bigger hammer to make an impact i dont know.

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
i cant see any pins at all. i had read about those but i cant see any. not sure where i am looking though
PXL_20220321_112355980.jpg

Corvette

Well-known user
Ditto Oneball‘s comments. They normally come off when you drive 🤣. You’re not whacking the end of the ear hard enough with wheel on the ground.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You can see the grooves I marked in the image for where a pin would slide in are not aligned, so there is none installed
Looks like rusted, As mentioned need to spray that would break down that rust

Else may need to use heat on the spammer, so it expands a bit and then try to get it off

980.jpg

8 Pot

CCCUK Member
i have just loaded it up with WD40 (other brands are available) and will see if that makes a difference. i will see if i can get a bigger hammer....

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Don't be afraid to beat the hell out of them (in the right direction of course!) Order some replacement security pins from CK

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Chris is one of the most helpful members you could meet so I know he'll be fine with me posting the attached tutorial

Attachments

• Changing Knock-Offs.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 13

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think it’s usually a 5lb hammer, just give them a wack. Original knock offs do not have safety pins, if no pins on repro wheels , they must just be stuck. A good few racks and a little wiggle and they should spin off. Nothing else is holding them on
Makes me wonder why GM called them “quick take off wheels”

Last edited: