Last time you were in America? / General chat thread🤣

Corvette

Well-known user
For me unbelievably was last year but only just. Wife just sent me this pic outside Target, Posner Park FL dated 02 January 2020, we flew back the next day With 8 suitcases ;-) B729BDB5-FB51-4A08-A1F9-5ED8565150F4.jpegAnyone out there after January pre covid?

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
We usually go to Florida every year. Last family visit was 2018, missed 2019 as latest grandson was too young, but booked 18 months in advance for 2020, and 2 years in advance for 2021 (should be due to leave for home today) and both cancelled with all monies bar villa deposit from 2020 repaid (we cancelled). Man maths transferred cash to buying my Corvette lol. I don't think we'll return till 2023 if things are settled by then, but who knows. We booked all aspects of our holiday individually - flights with TUI, and no issues with them at all, Car hire with Andy from discount florida car hire - a great service, and villa through a friend. 2022 booked Menorca and Scotland so far for family hols.

Pete

Corvette

Well-known user
I forgot about cancellations, BA and Virgin repaid all three of ours but one of the house rentals kept every penny, hard considering I had refunds from car guys in USA from eBay purchases I couldn’t collect. Jan 2020 seems like five years ago.

antijam

CCCUK Member
I don't remember the year but I do remember it was the first time I saw a car with 'spinners', somewhere in LA - I sat at the lights with my mouth open!

It was also the first time I saw a Porsche 911 Stretch Limo....... :eek:

Image-001.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Last in the US in July 2018 . Was staying on a family run ranch in Montana whos ancesters had forged the early trails across the Rockies in the late 1800`s . Amazing experience with only 1 Horse Power transport out riding trails every day and taking pack mules out into the wilderness for wild camping in the mountains . Had a rental car and went on a road trip around Yellowstone National Park and down to Grand Teetons National Park then across Utah to Salt Lake City . We were booked to go back to the ranch in 2020 as we loved it so much then a road trip to explore Mount Rushmoor National Park but Covid canned that . At least we got a full refund . Considering doing it next year now but there is still so much uncertainty about the world Covid situation . Great for car spotting out there too , DSCF1599.JPGDSCF1986.JPG

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
The last time I went to America? Errrm..... errrr..... never been :cry: (unless you count sitting in my '68 as that came from America direct to me?). Always wanted to go, and my now wife went with her folks a few months after we first met. So she's not too fused about going back soon, when there are other destinations we need to do first.

Andy J

CCCUK Member
2019. My daughter lives out there. We visited when she was in Colorado Springs at the time and managed to tie it in with the Pikes Peak hill climb which was awesome. She's moved back to just outside Dallas now and I'm keen to visit and see my 2 grandsons, one of whom I've never seen due to covid etc. I shall be taking a trip to Corvette World Dallas and buying some tat while I'm there!

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
2019. My daughter lives out there. We visited when she was in Colorado Springs at the time and managed to tie it in with the Pikes Peak hill climb which was awesome. She's moved back to just outside Dallas now and I'm keen to visit and see my 2 grandsons, one of whom I've never seen due to covid etc. I shall be taking a trip to Corvette World Dallas and buying some tat while I'm there!

Andy if you do get to Dallas contact me as I am like 30 miles east of that and will give you a ride in my 500 HP C5
and promise not to go over, like 150 MPH :)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Sounds great , I hope you finally make it . It`s long time to be separated from family . I have also done a road trip up the eastern seaboard through Salem and Kenny Bunkpbunkport from Boston up through New England in the fall which was stunning and back via the Green Mountains and Northampton named after my UK hometown and down to Cape Cod . But it`s roads like this , scenery like this , DSCF1224.JPGDSCF1391.JPGDSCF1404.JPGand riding through the plains with herds of buffalo that`s calling me back to Montana and Wyoming . Jeez its big country ! :)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
There you go, if you found that photo in an old case in the loft you would think it was Butch Cassidy. Great pic
More ruggedly hansome than Paul Newman don`t you think ? :LOL: Or maybe more like the square jawed real deal Butch Cassidy . :unsure: OIP.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Jan 2020, had three cars coming over so came over before they arrived. A friend flew home yesterday to Miami, hoping to go ASAP after November 11th when we are allowed back over there.
Looking forward to eating my thanksgiving turkey in Daytona beach as there for the Turkey Run. Always a fantastic 4 day car show and swap meet.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Jan 2020, had three cars coming over so came over before they arrived. A friend flew home yesterday to Miami, hoping to go ASAP after November 11th when we are allowed back over there.
Looking forward to eating my thanksgiving turkey in Daytona beach as there for the Turkey Run. Always a fantastic 4 day car show and swap meet.
What is the current situation in the US regarding Covid and travel restrictions ? It has all gone quiet over here so far as news of the USA especially since Trump has gone . Whilst he was in the Whitehouse there was hardly a day go by that the something was on our news channels . Now its like you don`t exist !