LS2 Engine Tuning

Woodsy99

CCCUK Member
My LS2 C6 has Kooks long tube ceramic headers, sports cats and Borla Atak rear mufflers plus an Airaid perfromance intake and I understand that the efficiency of the engine can be enhanced significantly by professional tuning, particularly the fueling and sparking.
I have heard some positive things about a company called Wortec near Chichester - has anyone any experience of using them and are there other recommnded tuners?
Would appreciate any comments
Thanks, Nick

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Where are you based Woodsy ? Northampton Motorsport has a big reputation for their rolling road and tuning and people do bring their cars from around the country to them . They are always busy though and can have waiting list up to three months .

Woodsy99

CCCUK Member
I've spoken to Northampton Motorsport but they can't help as they are unable to get into Corvette ECU's, so the hunt is on for companies that can and also have the necessary experience.......

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Jolly old Twickers , not too far then , just a pity NMS cannot help you . Try Williams Bros Speedshop who I have just discovered near me in South Northants . The two brothers have years of experience in drag racing and building and tuning Chevy engines , including modern stuff . I called in on them yesterday to see if they can sort my C3 out . Nic and Dan seemed really nice guys , very open and friendly and they gave a full tour of all their workshops , and all the projects they are working on for customers as well as their own cars . They have an engine dyno lab but unfortunately no rolling road . They were working on an 800 bhp engine build for a customers new model Camaro ! I am booked in with them next week. Speak to Nic Willaims on 07572 096920 or look up www.williamsbrosspeedshop.co.uk Good luck with the hunt . (y)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Woodsy , I have just thought of RGS Motorsport in Wellingborough if you can`t find somewhere nearer to you and they do have a rolling road . I haven`t used them for a few years but always found them very good when they tuned and upgraded various cars I had . Toyota MR2 , Marcos Mantara V8 ( they put a fast road cam in ) and Jaguar XKR . Might be worth a phone call .

C6NL

CCCUK Member
Huge gains to be had if you swap the cathedral heads and intake for LS3 versions and mild cam. To top it off a Fast intake and a tune and your LS2 will come close to 500 HP.

c6_pete

Regular user
I can recommend Wortec. They did the tune on my LS2 after I had headers, x-pipe & mufflers installed (no-CIA). I actually arranged it through Topcats Racing and took the car up there (not realising Wortec were based down south - I'm based in Surrey). They provided a great service, and even came back to my house to tweak the tune a few weeks after the initial one (can't remember the reason why...). The tune I got wasn't to further improve HP gains from my setup, more to ensure the setup worked properly and the engine mgt light didn't turn on.

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
Paul from Wortec is the man to speak to, he tuned my C6 Z06.
It has a CAI, mild cam, milled and ported and polished heads, exhaust etc.
I could feel a noticeable difference while we were doing it and he was programming it.

Robster

Busy user
Paul from Wortec is the man to speak to, he tuned my C6 Z06.
It has a CAI, mild cam, milled and ported and polished heads, exhaust etc.
I could feel a noticeable difference while we were doing it and he was programming it.
Where did you get the work done prior to tuning, and did you drive there afterwards.
I spoke with Wortec, but they don’t fit any parts, just tune.

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
Where did you get the work done prior to tuning, and did you drive there afterwards.
I spoke with Wortec, but they don’t fit any parts, just tune.
I had it all done at AAS in Newcastle, but had a tune sent from AHP in America where I bought all the parts so it was running quite well anyway. Had it fine tuned by Paul on the road. He flew up I think for a couple of days and had a few cars to do in that time.

STAYGOLD

CCCUK Member
My LS2 C6 has Kooks long tube ceramic headers, sports cats and Borla Atak rear mufflers plus an Airaid perfromance intake and I understand that the efficiency of the engine can be enhanced significantly by professional tuning, particularly the fueling and sparking.
I have heard some positive things about a company called Wortec near Chichester - has anyone any experience of using them and are there other recommnded tuners?
Would appreciate any comments
Thanks, Nick
Hi Woodsy99
My 1999 FRC runs an LS1 with a Texas Speed and Performance 224R cam, Vararam intake, longtube headers and a Borla catback exhaust. It had a major engine and gearbox rebuild last year, and finally after lockdown I had the ECU recalibrated by Warren Gilbert's boys at Topcats. Cary there did a terrific job, and instead of over-fuelling round town the engine now has much better bottom-end and mid-range punch and runs really sweetly. They did the work in a day, spending a lot of time running it up and down the airfield there until it was spot-on, and I am very happy with the end result. It's around £650 plus VAT. My son also had the suspension of his 1977 C3 set up by Cary a couple of years ago, and Topcats once again did very painstaking and worthwhile work. I'd recommend them without reservation.

Robster

Busy user
Hi Woodsy99
My 1999 FRC runs an LS1 with a Texas Speed and Performance 224R cam, Vararam intake, longtube headers and a Borla catback exhaust. It had a major engine and gearbox rebuild last year, and finally after lockdown I had the ECU recalibrated by Warren Gilbert's boys at Topcats. Cary there did a terrific job, and instead of over-fuelling round town the engine now has much better bottom-end and mid-range punch and runs really sweetly. They did the work in a day, spending a lot of time running it up and down the airfield there until it was spot-on, and I am very happy with the end result. It's around £650 plus VAT. My son also had the suspension of his 1977 C3 set up by Cary a couple of years ago, and Topcats once again did very painstaking and worthwhile work. I'd recommend them without reservation.
Going to do that as well, have Texas speed headers to go on and a vararam. How much was the suspension set up

Woodsy99

CCCUK Member
Paul Spinks @ Wortec (nr. Chichester) has now tuned my engine using HP software, and the result was a muscular 452 BHP and 467lb/ft torque (factory spec 400/400)
In addition to improved performance, the tuning has also improved the driveability and reduced the fuel consumption a bit, so very worthwhile.
Paul is extremely knowledgeable and I'd recommend him

Nick

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Just had my C5 tuned by Paul at Wortec. Words don't often fail me but..... wow, just wow!

There will be a full write-up in August's Vette News, but if you have an LS [or LT]-engined car, get your credit card out and head to Chichester.
[Actually, phone them up and make an appointment first, but you get my point]