Making the C5/C6 MN6 shift smoother

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I heard of a mod that is to make the C5/C6 MN6 manual shifter be smoother.
To my disgust I find the guy sells for 60 dollars a 1 buck bolt
eek

It turns out they are simply removing the detent rod out of the trannie and putting a plug in to rid this function, which is there to inform you when going into or through the neutral gate. For some, that makes the shifter not smooth moving.

This detent which is a bolt at one end, and it is hollow where a spring and a ball bearing is at the end which presses up against the guide plate in trannie.
When you shift and guide plate notch is even with this bearing it being held by the spring pressure then bearing snaps into guide plate.

For one do not pay some jerk $60 for a bolt and do not rid the detent function but what you can do for about 20 cents is use a washer with the right thickness and reduce the pressure for detent which will make the shifter much smoother but still be functional.

Keep in mind the trannie case is aluminum and the detent bolt is located up high on the right back end of MN6 so not easy to get to and if your not careful you will cross thread and be in big trouble so take your time.
Detent bolt location :

detent.gif

Make sure you use the image below to see that the detent part of the bolt only moves about 4 mm and if you use too thick of a washer then there will only be about 4 threads left to screw into trannie case and over time come out.
You also need to use a sealer on threads when re-installing and do not over tighten

I did this mod back 20 years ago and is still working fine with this cheap mod.

Detentmod.jpg