Mid engine Error ?

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Vindicated! Jim Mero the speed and handling Corvette Guru questions Mid Engine placement and should Four Wheel Drive have been the order of the day ?
At the Nurburgring Mero ran the 2019 Corvette ZR1 in 7:04!

Last edited:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Possibly looks like the nimble "quick turn in" facilitated by the mid to rear engine placement is producing "fun to steer" aka "under steer"

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
Hmm..... interesting C8 presentation..... wonder what progress (if any) has taken place since it was made. I'm surprised the car was 'signed off' if one of the senior test drivers (and others?) had reservations about the handling. I have had one 'mid-engined' sports car - a 1985 AC 3000ME
which had the Ford 'Essex' V6 engine; at sensible road speeds it was fine, but on track it would snap VERY quickly into oversteer. (Track-day driving, not competition work). In fairness to AC, they didn't have much of a development budget, and they only made about 100 units, so it was hardly on a big nationwide radar, like GM and the C8.
I sold the AC in 1994 and bought my first Corvette ('82 CE) to replace it...… haven't looked back since......now on my 3rd. 'Vette (2007 C6) which will probably be my last. Can't justify thinking about a C8 at my age.
J.C. (1911)

A

avdb

Many consider the Elise one of the best handling cars which is mid-engine.

Not sure yet if I keep mine or replace with C8. The Elise can be difficult to get in/out.

z06_tim

Busy user
Interesting link. Thanks for posting Barry.

For balance, I would like to add this link, where Jim Mero clarifies some of the things he has been saying: Jim Mero Clarifies Statements On 2020 Mid Engine Corvette C8

To be honest, it sounds to me like he was not the man for the job to lead the vehicle dynamics for a mid-rear-engined C8. He retired in September of last year.

Perhaps there are some absolutely amazing dynamics guys out there, that will be expert drivers, making you or I look like complete novices, but they may only be expert at what they know with the existing FR architecture. Maybe they needed fresh blood to deliver the best mid-rear experience for the customer, and in particular that new customer that they are going after, with the new model.

I noticed in my link and yours, they did not test versus Ferrari 488 or McLaren 570S. These cars really are exceptional on track. The Audi R8 is deeply impressive too, but I'm betting Jims comments regarding understeer pertain to the Quattro model. He should really try a 488/Pista/F8 or any of the McLarens - he might be impressed. He may also be eating his hat when the real road test reports for the C8 are released, and comparison with the Ferraris and McLarens begin. Myself, I can't wait for this.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Surely the 1,000 bhp Corvette is imminent - engine in the back and electric motors up front. Light-weight storage battery for power, not range.

Like a mullet hairstyle - business at the front, party at the back.... :)

z06_tim

Busy user
Surely the 1,000 bhp Corvette is imminent - engine in the back and electric motors up front. Light-weight storage battery for power, not range.

Like a mullet hairstyle - business at the front, party at the back.... :)

Definitely...

The AWD vette, not the mullet, that is(y)