Morimoto C6 Headlights......YES or NO ???

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Hey folks - hope you're all safe and well during this lockdown and not too bored yet? Quick question (two parts really). Has anyone fitted the new Morimoto C7 lookalike headlights to their C6 at all? If so, are there any issues with aligning the headlight beams for UK use or is it simply plug in and go? Have watched several videos on YouTube showing the fitting and have to say they look the dogs dangly's in my opinion. I would of course save the original headlights for future resale but it is the only feature on C6's that I've always thought spoiled the look of them. They remind me at best of the Ferrari 360 Modena or Ferrari 550 Maranello, at worst they look a like lights that would be fitted to a high end kit car. What does everyone else think? Stay safe and be patient, hopefully we will all be driving our rides sooner rather than later.........Hmmmmm :unsure: ?????

Roscobbc

Always impressed with the sequential indicators on some of the upmarket Audi's - I like the look - doubt if I'll like the potential price though........
Interesting that some 50 year ago indicators (albeit rear only) such as these were illegal - remember '66 TBirds, Cougar and Shelby Mustangs.........OK so they were red only.......

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
The Morimoto's aren't cheap but they are less than a pair of GM C6 replacements overall (and they look far better IMO). Seen lots of issues with C6 headlight lenses crazing or fogging over, the lens cover material is said to be very poor quality apparently? The lenses on the Morimoto's are polycarbonate I think and have a far longer shelf life. The sequential indicators look great on them and give the C6 a more modern looking front end. They also do rear lights, but not to Euro standards I fear. Have seen a set of Morimoto front driving light replacements too but not so fond of them really. If I take the plunge then pictures will follow folks....stay tuned. Like the pics Ross, generally I reckon the American tail lights from the 60's / 70's do look cooler than anything we produced in the same period. Stay safe everybody..................BE PATIENT ------- DON'T BE A PATIENT ;) (y)!!!

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Condition of the outside of lenses obviously depends on the use of the car etc. And, as you will have seen on YouTube, they can be improved by a detailer in some cases, if needed. If you want to protect the lenses, get an Xpel or 3M PPF C6 headlights kit from the US.

Last edited:

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
I have had crazing/fogging on a previous vehicle of mine and tried various methods to remove the misty covering on the headlights but despite all the methods shown online they still looked pretty dismal. Luckily my current car has very good headlight lenses with only minor etching on them, perhaps I'll be ultra careful with them and as always keep the car covered when not in use. Appreciate the tip on on headlight kits though - cheers.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Has anyone fitted the new Morimoto C7 lookalike headlights to their C6 at all? If so, are there any issues with aligning the headlight beams for UK use or is it simply plug in and go?

I wouldn't worry to much about the headlights deteriorating. Haven't seen a C6 in the UK with "bad" headlights. On my 2007/21k miles car that I sold last year, they were in perfect condition (had PPF on them for last 7 years).

Your new car is I think US spec, so it will have the "flat beam" headlights that don't need changing for the IVA test on import. They shouldn't dip to the right (or left obviously) on dipped beam as I understand it, and dip to the left is no longer a UK MoT requirement. Someone on Pistonheads was saying that modern Audis/BMWs etc. also have flat beamed headlights. So I am guessing that the lights you fancy will replicate that US OE beam pattern. When getting my C6 MoT'd one time, they did have to adjust the up/down of the beam (s) using the hex nuts in the panels at the sides of the engine bay. So, I would check that that those adjusters will still work with the aftermarket lights, just in case you need them?

There was a Headlight recall on C6s a few years back. Mine was done by Ian Allan. Involved changing some wiring by the fusebox. Presume you car has had it done, if one of those affected?

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Appreciate the response fella, as far as I can see the Morimoto's have a slightly smoked lens with a dark grey/black interior. The LED's look sweet on them (C7 clones), as do the sequential indicators. Not checked on the headlight recall but I do have all the original paperwork with the car, including the build sheet and Carfax report. Stay safe and perhaps meet up with you some time 😁(y)!

c6_pete

Regular user
Appreciate the response fella, as far as I can see the Morimoto's have a slightly smoked lens with a dark grey/black interior. The LED's look sweet on them (C7 clones), as do the sequential indicators. Not checked on the headlight recall but I do have all the original paperwork with the car, including the build sheet and Carfax report. Stay safe and perhaps meet up with you some time 😁(y)!
Keep us updated on whether you go for the Morimotos. Had a look on their website yesterday and the setup does look v. smart. Might be tempted in the future if it's an easy swap out.

craigyboy

CCCUK Member
With the headlights you will find you won't see as well in the dark as the stock GM ones. If you read various Corvette forums people have said they are not as bright on the road

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Appreciate the heads up Craigyboy - have decided not to purchase them as their price and cost of fitting make me wince slightly. Coupled with that I cannot realstically envisage much, if any night time driving anytime soon so I'll stick with the standard headlights and save my pennies towards a well spec'd C7 at some point in the future :unsure: ? Having said that I do honestly think that the C6 shape cannot be improved upon that much, not overly keen on the C7 and the C8 appears to have a disproportinately large rear for me (not that I will ever be able to afford one anyway :LOL::ROFLMAO::D). Is your profile picture one of your current Vette then fella?