Newbie Thinking About a C3

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Hi all, signed up here as I’m considering building a C3 race car along the lines of the ‘68 Sebring cars. I’ve been playing with old race cars and classic cars for 20 odd years, mostly British stuff but fancy something a little different to go alongside the Cooper S I currently race. Need to clear a space in the garage by getting rid of a couple of toys first and will then be on the lookout for a sixties C3.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Roscobbc

If looking for a C3 race car you might want to speak with me. I have been considering selling my 20 year owned 427 cu in '68 manual big block coupe for a couple of years - I may now need to escalate these plans owing to a potentially major change of circumstances coming up .
1968 Vettes are the rarest of all the chrome bumper cars and probably the 'purest' of the breed. Car comes with all original parts, including original L36 427 engine (to turn it back in to a matching numbers car if that's your thing) - also comes with loads of new bits and bobs including new door cards and carpeting). Fitted with custom built ultra rare alloy billet Boyd Coddington 18" wheels. Not by any stretch of the imagination a showroom queen. Current engine fitted is a John Sleath built 489 cu in - come of engine dyno at 571 hp / 606 ft/lb and perfectly (well, almost) streetable. If someone comes up with the right offer I'll sell it.

Attachments

• Vette at Red Lion.jpg
    Vette at Red Lion.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Vette at Red Lion 2.jpg
    Vette at Red Lion 2.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 8

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks Rosco, the current engine and wheels wouldn’t be much use but otherwise it’s certainly an option, would need to look at the advantages of a coupe vs roadster. Depending which regs I build it to the 69 cars have an advantage of 8 inch wheels but that’s model year so again would need to check options. Need to get rid of my M3 and bike to clear some space in the garage first.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
The Greenwood wide body Spirit of Sebring / Spirit of Le Mans Car - is a hard top convertible L88 427 base

Rosco's Vette would be a great Vette to start a Race car build

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’m thinking more of the earlier cars, than the late 70s ones. I don’t need to start with a real big block car as long as it’s built to the correct regs. If I go HSCC route it will need to be a narrow car like the AIR 1968 Sebring ones

2F878555-B5DA-42D3-B0F8-96B520EC0F8B.jpeg

If I go down the route of FIA appendix K it’ll be flared arches like the NART roadster

9D813041-C9C6-4586-9816-3870ADC6B904.jpeg

Or Filipinetti coupe

55A427B5-D502-44E4-99D6-127AF61C93EB.jpeg

Not sure why but most of the early race cars in period were roadsters, haven’t been able to find an answer why, unless it’s what Chevy thought their biggest seller would be like the C1 and C2

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Interesting Barry that following your posting of the Greenwood bodied car a big-cube obviously highly modified '68 turns up on Bring A Trailer

Roscobbc

I’m thinking more of the earlier cars, than the late 70s ones. I don’t need to start with a real big block car as long as it’s built to the correct regs. If I go HSCC route it will need to be a narrow car like the AIR 1968 Sebring ones

View attachment 3752

If I go down the route of FIA appendix K it’ll be flared arches like the NART roadster

View attachment 3753

Or Filipinetti coupe

View attachment 3754

Not sure why but most of the early race cars in period were roadsters, haven’t been able to find an answer why, unless it’s what Chevy thought their biggest seller would be like the C1 and C2
Think you'll find GM seemed to have a surplus of Vert bodies around at the time which race team (if lucky) could get their hands on.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Interesting Barry that following your posting of the Greenwood bodied car a big-cube obviously highly modified '68 turns up on Bring A Trailer

That looks brilliant, unfortunately there’s not much opportunity to race something like that here, once you get into mid 1970s spec cars the CSCC Modsports Championship is about the only place I can think of.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’ve put a deposit down on a 69 small block coupe from the States. Just need to clear space in the garage before it arrives.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Fingers crossed, we’ll see when I get the body off. It’s running and driving but in need of restoration.