Oil of choice

kentvette

CCCUK Member
In our stock, old 350 I use Millers Classic Pistonease 20/50 Mineral oil. A high ZDDP content is essential for our old girl. But, I seem to recall you have a re-built engine? In which case a synthetic maybe OK, but I wouldn't use one....

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
In our stock, old 350 I use Millers Classic Pistonease 20/50 Mineral oil. A high ZDDP content is essential for our old girl. But, I seem to recall you have a re-built engine? In which case a synthetic maybe OK, but I wouldn't use one....
Do most oils contain zinc ? And what are its benefits, ?

Roscobbc

Do most oils contain zinc ? And what are its benefits, ?
No - fewer and fewer oils (especially synthetic's) have ZDDP suitable for our engines. Valvoline VR1 racing mineral. Kendal GT and a few other have ZDDP. Perhaps try the club supporter Anglo American Oils.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
No - fewer and fewer oils (especially synthetic's) have ZDDP suitable for our engines. Valvoline VR1 racing mineral. Kendal GT and a few other have ZDDP. Perhaps try the club supporter Anglo American Oils.
Ok thanks , I will get on to their site. 👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I use VR1 in the Mini

Anglo American sell Driven oils many of which contain zinc and I believe they offer a CCUK discount in them.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I always use Valvoline VR1 . being ostensibly a race grade oil it should be changed about every 3000miles but that`s probably annual mileage for most of us .

Chris Sale

CCCUK Member
To expand on the benefits of 'zinc', or ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate to give it its full name)..... ZDDP is critical to preventing sliding surface wear, in particular when you have flat-faced lifters as in older engines. Lack of sufficient ZDDP can result in rapid wear at the cam/lifter interface. Most modern engines have roller lifters and don't need as much ZDDP. Unfortunately as catalysts became more widely used, it was found that ZDDP levels high enough to protect against sliding surface wear were reducing catalyst life, so most engine oils that are recommended for modern cars do not have sufficient ZDDP for 'flat tappet' engines.

Chris Sale
'64 Coupe

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I use VR1 in the Mini

Anglo American sell Driven oils many of which contain zinc and I believe they offer a CCUK discount in them.
Seems a bit of a minefield, is the zinc added to help the oil molecules cling to the bearing surfaces? If so then you would think all engines and all oils would specify it🤭, is it an older engine rquirement in that modern engines have more advanced oil pump design. We were told that synthetic oils didnt degrade as quickly and so offer more protection for longer . I ran Bmw M cars for several years and the mantra was you had to use only Castrol oil labelled as specified for bmw M engines , which we all did religiously, ( and paid a premium for ) Then Bmw did a deal with Shell and suddenly we Had to use shell oils ?? A technical change or possibly a chat and a handshake on a golf course somewhere , who knows?
To expand on the benefits of 'zinc', or ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate to give it its full name)..... ZDDP is critical to preventing sliding surface wear, in particular when you have flat-faced lifters as in older engines. Lack of sufficient ZDDP can result in rapid wear at the cam/lifter interface. Most modern engines have roller lifters and don't need as much ZDDP. Unfortunately as catalysts became more widely used, it was found that ZDDP levels high enough to protect against sliding surface wear were reducing catalyst life, so most engine oils that are recommended for modern cars do not have sufficient ZDDP for 'flat tappet' engines.

Chris Sale
'64 Coupe
good info chris . Thanks , Easy to understand as soon as someone explains . I know in my build file the cam and lifters were protected with a product on first start up so want to do the best I can for the motor, only 4k since rebuild , 👍

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Opie Oils also give a discount to CCCUK members.

Some years ago I came across an on-line "oil academy" site that offered a sort of course. You did all the reading, then completed an exam. It gave a certificate if you passed! I got the cert, but was more interested in the info that the course gave, which covered all the "whys and wherefores" of shear and lubrication and ZDDP etc.

I've noticed that some manufacturers now say that with the more modern additives available and the need to protect "cats" on those cars that run them (later C3s of course originally) they can produce a similar effect to the once optimum amount of ZDDP with other things. Im not entirely convinced, so stick with Millers. I did use Valvoline when I was in Kent as my old firm sold it, but I don't' need it, so Millers works fine and is easier to get here. :giggle:

Roscobbc

Chris Sale
'64 Coupe

What he /|\ said

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Mad4 - Chris beat me to it and explained it better than I would too . Modern oils for modern engines basically . I personally would not use modern oils in an old design of engine no matter how recent the rebuild . Subject to any running in requirements of course .

Roscobbc

ZDDP - if good for my engine - then jus' give me loads of it mentality doesn't actually work. There is an optimum figure of about 1000 to 1200 ppm. Any more than 1400 ppm is detrimental and will have adverse effects on other properties of the lubricant and its longevity.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Links to previous oil related threads on this forum that may be of interest:

Just wondering why Synthetic was mentioned to you Mad4. If your engine is original it will have flat tappet followers and will need a high zzdp type oil as per suggestions. It’s possible you have a later engine with with roller cam followers and don’t require the high zzdp levels. Synthetic might be an option then.

As an aside, I hadn’t realised until I read it a year or so ago that the lobes of a flat tappet cam are ground with a very slight angle across their width. This is what makes the followers and pushrods rotate fractionally as the engine and camshaft rotate.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
ZDDP - if good for my engine - then jus' give me loads of it mentality doesn't actually work. There is an optimum figure of about 1000 to 1200 ppm. Any more than 1400 ppm is detrimental and will have adverse effects on other properties of the lubricant and its longevity.

Valvoline VR1 20W 50 has 1400 ppm . I think the engine will outlast me . Like most things in life , everything in moderation !