Oil / Service Parts

donald.e

Regular user
Which Oils are recommended for 78 L82 Automatic, Engine & Gearbox

Should I be looking at fully synthetic for Engine

Which plugs

Basic questions I know but looking for recommendations

Roscobbc

Can't help with auto fluid (I drive manuals) - don't waste money on synthetic or semi-synthethic oils - older engines are built with greater bearing tolerances and better suited for mineral lubricants - not saying you can't use synthetics, you can but there is little point. Use Valvoline VR1 racing mineral oil (ignore the name it is for street engines) Kendall GT is another. American oils generally have anti-foaming additives for use with hydraulic lifters. Most UK manufacturers of mineral oils seem very reticent to state the amount of zinc additive (ZDDP) their oils contain. American oils usually quote it. Ideal amount is 1000 -1200 ppm - any less 1000 ppm is not enough - any more than 1200 ppm has a reverse effect.

z06_tim

Busy user
Interesting. I had to look up what properties ZDDP gives to engine oils.

donald.e

Regular user
Interesting. I had to look up what properties ZDDP gives to engine oils.

Good info

Roscobbc

Nice explanation from Duckhams - however note the fact that they do not state how much of the ZDDP additive they use. Like most of the oil companies they'll probably say 'sufficient' and won't commit themselves.
Sorry - but that's not a good enough statement for me when investing many thousands of pounds in a high performance engine with (especially) high valve spring rates, latest technology camshafts with aggressive lift profiles.
The very last thing one wants is for the cam to be 'wiped' during the break-in period due to lack of lubrication. Go back to the oil supplier and ask why their 'sufficient' ZDDP additive hasn't 'done the job' won't go very far in getting some form of recompense........

z06_tim

Busy user
Maybe oil companies don't want to disclose their exact additive ratios, to make it harder for a competitor to copy their unique recipe.

Based on my link to Duckhams, it sounds to me like they know what they are doing, so I would place my trust in their engineers to have engineered their oil to a high enough standard for a classic vehicle.

At the end of the day, all you can do is try these products, and see how they perform in your application. Plus, do your research and see what other people recommend.

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Which Oils are recommended for 78 L82 Automatic, Engine & Gearbox

Should I be looking at fully synthetic for Engine

Which plugs

Basic questions I know but looking for recommendations
This was discussed not to long ago, follow link. I use Miller's classic from Opie oils with club discount, if it still applies. Steve

kentvette

CCCUK Member
As Steve says above, have a look at the "Best Engine Oil" thread. I'm a big fan of Millers. But I do take on board what Duckhams says - with the recent advances in oil technology the amount of ZDDP depends on many other factors, so the old "quantity" system no longer applies.

If you haven't yet bought ATF, have a look at this older thread:

And, if you want spark plugs, you can't do much better than the Green Spark Plug Company. ( Spark Plugs - AC, Champion, KLG, NGK, Bosch and Denso | The Green Spark Plug Company ) I think you'll find that your Vette uses AC Delco R45TS plugs. The GSPC have NGK equivalents (BPR4FS) at a very reasonable price and will deliver very quickly.

donald.e

Regular user
As Steve says above, have a look at the "Best Engine Oil" thread. I'm a big fan of Millers. But I do take on board what Duckhams says - with the recent advances in oil technology the amount of ZDDP depends on many other factors, so the old "quantity" system no longer applies.

If you haven't yet bought ATF, have a look at this older thread:

And, if you want spark plugs, you can't do much better than the Green Spark Plug Company. ( Spark Plugs - AC, Champion, KLG, NGK, Bosch and Denso | The Green Spark Plug Company ) I think you'll find that your Vette uses AC Delco R45TS plugs. The GSPC have NGK equivalents (BPR4FS) at a very reasonable price and will deliver very quickly.
Thanks for all info, settled for the AC DELCO R45TS plugs, found a good price on Flee-Bay £16 for four, which I thought was a good price, all good info on oils.
Going to be busy tomorrow 😁