Potential Owner - C6 vs C7 (and short future depreciation)

Iamnotarobot

Regular user
Hi there, new to this forum but have been a huge follower of Corvettes for a life long time. Presently own a 2018 Nissan 370z Nismo Mk2. The Z was on my radar for a long time and I went for a few test drives in different iterations of the 370z before I decided to go for the top of the line Nismo model.

I am going to pay my lease balloon payment of £18k on the Z in March (It's valued at £22k and higher mileage/older cars are selling for £24k atm). Eying up the used Corvette market for a potential buy within the next 12-24 months from now (so 2022/23) depending on what comes on market. Budget: £30-35k Corvette C6 Grand Sport/Z06 or late £30s for a C7 Stingray, Auto. Obviously current 2021 prices exceed my budget

My research has led me to believe the following. Would appreciate your advice/thoughts
  • C6 for me has to a wide body as the narrow C6 base model just doesn't look right. Especially compared to the Nismo Mk2 with its muscular arches and red accents & pearl white paint. Can live with the slightly inferior interior of the C6 but it has to be the wide body for me to make the move
  • C6 would have to be 2008-2013 in order to get the LS3 engine which I have read is more reliable.
  • Early C7 Stingrays are not dropping like I would have hoped :( and to make matters a bit tricky the C6 GS seem only to be a bit cheaper whereas the base C6 can be bought for the mid £20ks
  • Seems like the C7 Stingray would be the better purchase as its only several thousand more then already hard to find C6 Grandsports - fewer potential issues re service history + easier future resell.
  • The only exception seems to be the C6 ZR1 which appears to be a unicorn car. And hard to find esp in Auto. I would consider increasing budget to £45k for this
Although a bit speculative what are your opinions on future values of the C6 GS, ZR1 and C7 Stingray. Do you think I have a chance of Vette ownership based on my budgets by late 2022/early 2023?

Last edited:

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
I think you'll find C6 ZR1s were only produced with manual transmissions.
I'm not qualified to comment on 'values' - all you can do is study the market over a period of time and draw your own conclusions.
J.C. (1911)

Rich

Administrator
There's a lot to consider in your post.
I agree that the GS/Z06 body for the C6 looks better. I have had both normal coupe and GS convertible and preferred the body of the latter. The Z06 is the most desirable and is commanding higher prices. Looks the same as the GS, is clearly quicker, but more expensive to run. Question is , do you crave for that much power. LS3 engine is clearly the better choice.
If you would be happy with a C7, then go for it. Feedback seems to be autos are better. Beware of any non UK cars - ALWAYS do a carfax check.
Both C6 and C7 where produced in UK (and Euro) spec which would always be my preference as radio/Sat Nav/lighting are sorted. However C6 UK spec GS are very rare and the Z06 was not produced in UK spec. UK spec C7s are quite easy to find.
As regards finding a C6 ZR1, good luck with that one, I seem to recall one being for sale now. Best grab it and they are rare over here.
Finally Corvettes will usually devalue until they are a lot older and become rarer and more desirable. Don't let price movements concern you - just buy one asap and you won't be disppointed.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
For your information re importing from Europe

Just had a conversation with client who has seen a 1971 on eBay, car is in Europe. Import from USA All taxes paid. BUT, as we have now left the EU, UK taxes have NOT been paid so they will need to be paid on import into the UK. Just another point to remember as previously nothing was due.

Iamnotarobot

Regular user
Thanks for the feedback

Rules out the ZR1 if manual only and super rare. Sensible choice seems to be the C7 Stingray and stretch the budget higher, prioritizing UK Spec and lower mileage cars in the process. Just a waiting time - will be looking at values in the coming future.

I do believe that due to Covid people may be trying to sell on their C7s as they rejig their economic priorities in life. The F type V6 & V8s are tempting although they are too commonplace for me to consider - lovely car though. A real alternative that is on my radar that is the current Mustang. I know they are q common now but I do like them in the colours people daren't go for (see pic) - seems that these colours are slow sellers so there is a potential future opportunity for these to come on the lightly used market at a knock down price.

The dream would be a C7 Stingray. Is there much truth to the cylinder deactivation causing stress/reliability issues on the transmission/powertrain? This is why I heard many people deactivate it

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
I have no personal experience of Corvette cyl. de-activisation on the road, but some years ago the race-cars had a problem at Le Mans: lots of rain caused many laps to be run under the 'caution' flag and protracted use of 4-cyl. running - and its associated vibrations at a particular frequency - gave rise to drive-shaft failures. They were made of carbon-fibre. This may be the 'reliability issues' you allude to. I wouldn't let it put you off buying ANY Corvette.
J.C. (1911)

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
I do believe that due to Covid people may be trying to sell on their C7s as they rejig their economic priorities in life.
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one, on the basis that some bargains might be coming up! ;)
The dream would be a C7 Stingray. Is there much truth to the cylinder deactivation causing stress/reliability issues on the transmission/powertrain? This is why I heard many people deactivate it
C7 AFM / Transmission issues. | Classic Corvette Club UK

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
All C6 Z06s and ZR1s were manuals, so if you NEED an auto you will have to go for a C6 Grand Sport, or a C7.
Also my Z06 is a UK supplied car, so they are out there, just like rocking horse poop.
I was thinking about maybe selling mine, just to scratch another itch as it were, but I'm torn, had her nine years so far and invested a lot as well.
It's a 2007 Z06, 40,000 miles, with mods, approx 625 bhp.

Last edited:

Iamnotarobot

Regular user
Apologies in advance if this is slightly going off on a tangent but from an objective stand-point the following sports cars are starting to enter the sub £50k "bargain" territory that hopefully the C7 will (always hope!)

Lexus LC 5.0
F-type V8 pre facelift
BMW i8 (I dont like the power train but styling wise this really looks the point)

The above make it q hard to justify a C7 £45k mark imo. Certain other sports cars are unjustifiably holding value worth mentioing: Alpine A110, Lotus Evora 400

Roscobbc

Apologies in advance if this is slightly going off on a tangent but from an objective stand-point the following sports cars are starting to enter the sub £50k "bargain" territory that hopefully the C7 will (always hope!)

Lexus LC 5.0
F-type V8 pre facelift
BMW i8 (I dont like the power train but styling wise this really looks the point)

The above make it q hard to justify a C7 £45k mark imo. Certain other sports cars are unjustifiably holding value worth mentioing: Alpine A110, Lotus Evora 400
IMHO you're not too far away in your thoughts - seems to have been a few 'early' C7's for sale at that sort of figure - 'early' 2014's would be manual I'm guessing (auto's were a little later) and perhaps a lower spec - there was a black 2010 14000 mile C6 ZR1 over on Collecting cars - went up to £40k plus buyers premium - auction oddly got extended a few days - now mysteriously disappeared.........there was an oranged one sold earlier last month for £91K (plus £6k buyers premium) - possibly a good price if you'd bought the thing new/nearly new and imported it yourself..........otherwise perhaps a crazy price to pay?

Iamnotarobot

Regular user
IMHO you're not too far away in your thoughts - seems to have been a few 'early' C7's for sale at that sort of figure - 'early' 2014's would be manual I'm guessing (auto's were a little later) and perhaps a lower spec - there was a black 2010 14000 mile C6 ZR1 over on Collecting cars - went up to £40k plus buyers premium - auction oddly got extended a few days - now mysteriously disappeared.........there was an oranged one sold earlier last month for £91K (plus £6k buyers premium) - possibly a good price if you'd bought the thing new/nearly new and imported it yourself..........otherwise perhaps a crazy price to pay?

Yes I have been keeping my eye on the Vette used market for a while and I have noticed that the C6s (athough imo better looking with round lights) tend to sit on the market a lot longer. The C7s sell quicker and also there is perhaps more peace of mind re service history, clocking etc as there are of course fewer years to account for

The 2014/15s should see a drop given that is 2021 now and the year seems to be a Covid write off with none of us going anywhere outside of our areas

Tbh I think the C7s holding value is somewhat justified but as mentioned the Evoras/Exiges holding is a bit laughable imo

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
There's currently a red 2014 C7 at Moorelands in Basingstoke; advertised at £39.9K. Snag is it's got a few miles behind its transaxle..... like 60,000.
(Which may not be a problem.....)
Usual disclaimers: absolutely no personal interest or connection with said dealer.
J.C. (1911)

Iamnotarobot

Regular user
There's currently a red 2014 C7 at Moorelands in Basingstoke; advertised at £39.9K. Snag is it's got a few miles behind its transaxle..... like 60,000.
(Which may not be a problem.....)
Usual disclaimers: absolutely no personal interest or connection with said dealer.
J.C. (1911)

might be easier to resell though when the eventual time comes as it would more likely fall into peoples budgets. Shame re manual tho!

Roscobbc

Beware of C7's that have come over from the 'States on salvage titles - a fair few cars and bikes come over from the USA to Europe a few years ago written-off with 'flood damage' - who knows when long term issues from moisture ingress will surface with electronic dependant vehicles........thorough checks on vin no. are essential....

c5ynk

CCCUK Member
Beware of C7's that have come over from the 'States on salvage titles - a fair few cars and bikes come over from the USA to Europe a few years ago written-off with 'flood damage' - who knows when long term issues from moisture ingress will surface with electronic dependant vehicles........thorough checks on vin no. are essential....
might be easier to resell though when the eventual time comes as it would more likely fall into peoples budgets. Shame re manual tho!
sub £40,000 import vet with 60,000 miles seems a lot wait for a good Uk one the cylinder deactivation on euro cars can be turned off each time you dart the car unlike the US cars they all have to run in 4/8 cylinders no choice unless you buy a Range Tec that goes in the obd port well worth doing if you must get a US car .Good luck in your search there are only about 60 Uk c7 in the country the 2014s are all manuals

Iamnotarobot

Regular user
sub £40,000 import vet with 60,000 miles seems a lot wait for a good Uk one the cylinder deactivation on euro cars can be turned off each time you dart the car unlike the US cars they all have to run in 4/8 cylinders no choice unless you buy a Range Tec that goes in the obd port well worth doing if you must get a US car .Good luck in your search there are only about 60 Uk c7 in the country the 2014s are all manuals

Yes v uncanny you brought this up since I learnt about the V4/V8 mode causing possible issues to the engine/transmission (?) but then further learning that the Euro cars are not like the US ones that always revert to V4 unless an aftermarket mod of sorts is installed. I was going to bring this up the closer the C7s come into my budget

Objectively speaking UK cars will command a slight premium partly as a result and offer more peace of mind (flooding/clocking) as well as having the larder side mirrors - still expect to stay around the £45k mark for the next 24 months imo. What will be interesting is whether the Lexus LC 5.0 drops to this from its current ballpark of £55k - the 3.5 V6 hybrid is already sub £50k but isn't really the one to go for. £45k seems an awful lot though :oops:

Roscobbc

As nice as the LC is - I wouldn't bet on its styling becoming a 'future' classic. probably the same for some of the other V8 powered coupe's. Lexus servicing and body parts for LC must be eyewateringly expensive.....not that late model Vette panels will be exactly cheap.

Iamnotarobot

Regular user
As nice as the LC is - I wouldn't bet on its styling becoming a 'future' classic. probably the same for some of the other V8 powered coupe's. Lexus servicing and body parts for LC must be eyewateringly expensive.....not that late model Vette panels will be exactly cheap.

The LC is an interesting car. As rare as it is I have seen several in the flesh and sat in one when they were exhibiting in Westfield, London. Disagree with you on the styling. There isnt really anything like it on the market and it is different to the rest of their line up. It looks v futuristic and from angles looks coherent with a sharp, angular aesthetic throughout.

I did see one parked on a miserable wet day in the infamous Fractal Blue and it literally had an Azurite/indigo type glow to it. On a similar note I have had horror stories when it comes to paint matching with the premium colours. I was anticipating the yellow ones might be offered at a reduced rate (they actually are atm but with the 3.5V6 hybrid). You're prob right that servicing will be expensive. Think the bargain GT car would be an M6

I will prob re assess things in the summer. I am anticipating an economic burnout come April

c5ynk

CCCUK Member
Other c7 differences Uk to US Uk has headlight washers personally not seen mine ever replay and on my second c7 last one was red on red manual if I did go manual again I would change gearbox oil and get a good short shifter kit . Other differences is satnav DAB radio fog light all can be sorted but cost only downside with UK one is no PDR camara donot know y must be some silly EU thing about personal privacy