Pug Ugly Cars

Roscobbc

I always thought that ugly b'stard cars were a thing of the past - it is an objective thing I know and some people will disagree with my first selection -
the Volvo P544
second-owner-bought-this-1962-volvo-544-b-18-sport-49-years-ago-1476934785622-1000x748.jpg

We'll all be aware of the Edsel which badly flopped. With a front end styled akin to what some say reminds them of, 'erm female genitalia? perhaps not surprising it failed?.+
IceGreen1958EdselRangerFordPaintCodeM0688-570194d83df78c7d9e64de65.JPG

I wonder why BMW have taken it on themselves to enlarge and make the front end radiator grilles so ugly on their latest models. The 1 Series looks ridiculous IMHO and the X7 looks like something the Chinese would produce as a 'copy'!
1-bmw-118i-2019-rt-hero-front.jpg

bmw-x7-2018-cover-mobile.jpg

And now we have the latest M3 - how ghastly is that? Is BMW trying to stop customers buying cars? - a few more models like these and they'll succeed surely?
bmw-m3-g80-chalk.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Agree with every choice Roscobb except the Volvo . To my eye it was just very typical of its era . I would add every electric car to date since the Prius . Why do designers feel the need to make anything propelled by an electric motor and batteries either pug ugly or at best just plain bland !!

antijam

CCCUK Member
....... I would add every electric car to date since the Prius ........

I'd say every electric car since this little beauty.....
Capture.JPG
Took the land speed record at over 100 Km/h in 1899! I suspect the aerodynamics were rather compromised by the drivers seating position.....(n):)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Gaston de Chassaloup I do believe ! The French were very innovative in those days and presumably thought they had aerodynamics sussed until Gaston sat on it ! :ROFLMAO:

antijam

CCCUK Member
Nearly right Chuffer. The car (called La Jamais Contente ) was driven by Camille Jenatzy. Gaston de Chasseloup set the first officially recognised land speed record in 1898 - also in an electric car - at 63.15 Km/h. Camille Jenatzy was the first to take the record over 100 Km/h - actually 105 Km/h. 60 mph sitting on, rather than in, that thing must have been terrifying!

Interesting that at the dawn of the motoring age electric was the way to go. We seem to have come full circle.

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Nearly right Chuffer. The car (called La Jamais Contente ) was driven by Camille Jenatzy. Gaston de Chasseloup set the first officially recognised land speed record in 1898 - also in an electric car - at 63.15 Km/h. Camille Jenatzy was the first to take the record over 100 Km/h - actually 105 Km/h. 60 mph sitting on, rather than in, that thing must have been terrifying!

Interesting that at the dawn of the motoring age electric was the way to go. We seem to have come full circle.
Nothing new under the sun dear boy :rolleyes: