Rattly shifter.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, got out today for a 35 mile round trip, car running really well and smooth, handles well no big clunks or kncks. Plenty of power so all good. The one concern is i wonder if the shippers had forced the reverse dhift lock whilst not understanding how it works. When driving , there is a load rattle from the shifter area, wether its the shifter, a linkage or shift rods i dont know , cant get under neath yet. Any one had or got this issue, ? are there bushes or kit to rebuild the shifter? Worse under second or third gear acceleration then better in top. Box all driving and shifting well otherwise , synchros all see good as no grinds coming down through the gears and goes into first whilst still moving. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
ps I love the car ! Only came home as the gritters are out 😩

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Does the noise go if you hold the knob?

Yes, probably the shifter is loose

No, might be the reverse lock, doubt it’s been damaged probably just loose.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Does the noise go if you hold the knob?

Yes, probably the shifter is loose

No, might be the reverse lock, doubt it’s been damaged probably just loose.
Definitively better holding shifter Knob , doesnt go completely tho . Is this accessed under the car or through consol ? Thanks oneball

Corvette

Well-known user
Unscrew the shifter knob and the reverse lockout T lifts up, it should have a spring with it. The shifter levers are found under the car and always need tightening/adjusting are alongside of the Muncie.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Have you taken the top off the centre console and a look to see if anything is loose around the selector first ? I have a B&M Mega Shifter on mine so yours will be a bit different so cannot speak from personal experience on the standard set up . Good luck and hope it`s nothing serious .
Glad you got out for a spin though , lucky dog ! :D

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Have you taken the top off the centre console and a look to see if anything is loose around the selector first ? I have a B&M Mega Shifter on mine so yours will be a bit different so cannot speak from personal experience on the standard set up . Good luck and hope it`s nothing serious .
Glad you got out for a spin though , lucky dog ! :D
Thanks all , should have sai that I also dont have the stock t bar lock , but a hurst shifter , afraid i dont know the model , will check for any model / numbers when I can.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Here is theshifter , and a couple of pics of blue sky cornwall today , 👍😁

Attachments

• 62D045A0-5943-4CBA-8CA7-8648CEE3BFA1.png
    62D045A0-5943-4CBA-8CA7-8648CEE3BFA1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 79AA3613-D415-4AAD-9801-31152BA3133F.jpeg
    79AA3613-D415-4AAD-9801-31152BA3133F.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 393DE035-CA8B-4724-B3E0-A80E83C09CF3.jpeg
    393DE035-CA8B-4724-B3E0-A80E83C09CF3.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 21
  • A820E544-8C9A-45FF-917A-6218E6A54585.jpeg
    A820E544-8C9A-45FF-917A-6218E6A54585.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 20

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks all , should have sai that I also dont have the stock t bar lock , but a hurst shifter , afraid i dont know the model , will check for any model / numbers when I can.

Tjeyre very similar, there’s some nylon bushes that could wear in the Hurst but I’d check other stuff first.

antijam

CCCUK Member
The Hurst is also bolted to the gearbox unlike the standard shift which is bolted to the chassis. The shift lever may be picking up some transmission vibration.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The Hurst is also bolted to the gearbox unlike the standard shift which is bolted to the chassis. The shift lever may be picking up some transmission vibration.
Yes antjam I would say it is as it is worse when accelerating hard in 2/3. Really vibratey, will check gbox mount too but all drive train was rebuilt 4k ago so hoping just the shifter which looks to be an older hurst.

Corvette

Well-known user
Hurst Super competition. Take your 9/16” spanner with you to check triangular type mounting plate that shifter body bolts to.

Roscobbc

Usually the 'rattling' or 'buzz' can be silenced or 'damped'by resting you hand on the shifter. You'll still feel the vibration but resting your hand should minimise it.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Resting your hand on the gear knob will wear the shift forks. It’s why Jaguar fitted alloy gear knobs to the d-types, so it’d burn your hand.