Reg Numbers. Learn something new everyday.

Corvette

Well-known user
Taken from DVLA sithe regarding putting a Cherished reg number on retention certificate:

Eligibility​

The vehicle must:

• be registered with DVLA in the UK
  • be able to move under its own power
  • be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
  • be available for inspection - DVLA will contact you if they need to inspect your vehicle
  • have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the past 5 years
  • be taxed currently or have a SORN in place - if it’s had a SORN in place for more than 5 years, it must be taxed and have an MOT certificate
If you have a historic (classic) vehicle you’ll also need a current MOT certificate, even if your vehicle is usually exempt from MOTs.

it’s the last bit that has scuppered my plan. Classic cars that don’t need an MOT DO need an MOT to remove Cherished reg. Oh dear.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I can’t see a problem with putting a MOT on a historic vehicle, am I missing something. When I’ve sold a “classic” over 40 years old, I’ve often got it MOT’ed for peace of mind for the buyer.

Corvette

Well-known user
Err the car in question is old, unused, last mot was many years ago. The reg is worth a small fortune and transferable so looking like it will be sold with the car.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Right, got it now. Old car laid up. Got a good reg, but MOT needed to get it transferred. Car will need money , possibly lots spent on it to get said MOT.
It was always the case that a car needed a current MOT to transfer its plate, that rule hasn’t changed for historic vehicles over 40 years it seems.
If it had I suppose it would be open season on old “bangers” in a terrible state losing their valuable plates.

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
So much easier stateside, go to the DMV, tell them what you want, ( can’t be offensive) if nobody’s got it , pay your fee (varies state to state) and hey presto it’s yours.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Err the car in question is old, unused, last mot was many years ago. The reg is worth a small fortune and transferable so looking like it will be sold with the car.
Was thinking it was a occasionally used “classic” in roadworthy condition, but as over 40 years of age not bothering to get an MOT as it’s not needed.
Some complete basket cases do indeed have good numbers on them. Pity they can’t be removed without the MOT. We do indeed have some strange laws/regulations which don’t really serve any purpose at all.

Roscobbc

Was thinking it was a occasionally used “classic” in roadworthy condition, but as over 40 years of age not bothering to get an MOT as it’s not needed.
Some complete basket cases do indeed have good numbers on them. Pity they can’t be removed without the MOT. We do indeed have some strange laws/regulations which don’t really serve any purpose at all.
The purpose of this 'odd' seeming regulation is to prevent 'us' the average person making money from selling-off a registration number. DVLA want to be the ones who make the money......even though they don't actually approve of personalised registration numbers, they are very happy to auction their 'back catalogue' of un-issued numbers......

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
When you look back to the 1960’s and 70’s it was even harder to transfer a plate. You had to own Both vehicles, god knows how that worked.

Roscobbc

Back then you really needed to 'know' someone at the local DVLA office. I can recall (when taking a vehicle for inspection prior to transferring the number) a rolling Morris Minor chassis being uncoupled from a tow truck and pushed around the corner ready for an inspector to come out in to the street. This car had no doors, boot, bonnet and just an upturned bucket under the steering wheel for the 'driver' to sit on. Can't recall if it had an engine....... I do recall that it haf a pair of pristine registration plates with an interesting number. Now someone tell me how that was legally transferred off of the 'remains' of that Moggy without some 'assistance' from the local office......
That wasn't the only time I saw an odd vehicle outside the local office awaiting a transfer........

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
So true. Our local office was Balfour lane ilford. Over the years I saw a few dodgy cars parked up ready for a “friendly inspector “ to view it, and OK the transfer.

Roscobbc

So true. Our local office was Balfour lane ilford. Over the years I saw a few dodgy cars parked up ready for a “friendly inspector “ to view it, and OK the transfer.
Ha! - that was our local office and the subject of my story!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Small world. I used to use the one in Zoar Street SE1 sometimes as it was just across Blackfriars Bridge as I was in EC4. Tiny little place. If one person was in front of you, it was a major queue. 😂