Remove smog equipment or not?

Last triumph

Well-known user
My '81 is very original and still carries its factory smog system, albeit the belt is not attached. (I have the original radiator in a box),

DedRY3W.jpg

Having had to move and detach a fair bit of the plumbing over the last few days just to replace the valve cover gaskets, it got me thinking - shall I just remove it completely and save some weight / gain better access?

If I removed it, I'd keep it all secure in boxes for the next owner/restorer - would that detract from its value which is currently as a nice original driver/survivor?

Just wondering what to do, if anything.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I cant imagine the factory Smog equipment would add to a 1981's value, maybe in another 30 years if fully restored it might?.. i say box it.

I have contemplated taking the air con pump off my 1981, its heavy and not doing anything useful.

Roscobbc

Depends on how good and original/mileage/condition the car is. If ultra low mileage etc perhaps leave in place?

Last triumph

Well-known user
So, not one of those less than 10k miles cars.
Is it still running the 1981 computer engine management, you'll have to be careful not to mess up any sensors if it is.
No, not a museum piece, but also not one that's been excessively messed about with. Just a well maintained survivor type car.

Yes, still running all original computer engine management system.

I do need to locate the plastic ignition shield/distributor cover though if anyone knows of one?

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I like to see the under hood appearance as factory stock as possible nowadays. Yes, in the past on my own personal cars I’ve upgraded valve covers, air cleaners etc. Braided hoses, and removed things like air con.
But now, I like and appreciate the factory look.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I like to see the under hood appearance as factory stock as possible nowadays. Yes, in the past on my own personal cars I’ve upgraded valve covers, air cleaners etc. Braided hoses, and removed things like air con.
But now, I like and appreciate the factory look.

I never have my hood open at shows just in case the originality police are on patrol.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I say its your car, and you should do what you want to it. There are a lot of people that think either side of the fence on the matter, and that's fine. But ultimately its your car and you have the right to do what you want with it.

If it were me personally, I'd remove the unwanted stuff that is sat there - as long as its safe to do so without mucking up engine management and so forth. Less weight, better access, sounds like a win to me. It also means that the un-used stuff won't get damaged by anything whilst driving, or risk of corrosion, or from trying to access stuff behind it etc as it'll be safely in a box somewhere.

But leaving it on there is fine as well - my project car still has all of its climate control stuff on it, despite it not working at all and the car ain't worth much to be bothered fixing it all (air con rad duff, so are some of the pipes etc). Heck, that car isn't even on the road at the moment, but even if it were, I still wouldn't fix it. I also can't be bothered taking all the climate control stuff off though - the engine and its management system etc are all happily running and I can't be bothered risking messing that up.