REVERSING LIGHT SWITCH LOCATION

clivette72

CCCUK Member
Hi All. Hope someone can give me some help here. The reversing lights stay on when I move from 'R' to 'N' on my 72 Vette Auto.
I can only see two wires going into the front of the gearbox. I presume these are for the starter immobiliser. I have read that some 72s
have a switch in the centre console but not sure if this only applies to manual boxes. Before I start raving the console out I would appreciate
any help on this. Thanks

johng

CCCUK Member
On my automatic 78 the switch for the reversing lights is in the centre console. It's detecting where the gear selector lever is rather than what gear you are actually in, I'd imagine it's the same on a 72.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I guess it will be like my auto 1980 model year , There is a twin micro switch mounted along side the selector under the centre console . One is the inhibitor switch to kill the ignition when not on Park , the other is the Reversing Light switch activated when Reverse is selected . They may need adjusting and tightening up on the mountings or possibly worn and not switch on / off properly .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If you have a standard selector it might be a pretty straightforward and simple fix . The previous owner of my car installed a B&M Mega Shifter and adjusting the limited clearance on the little switch mounting brackets with the grub screws was a trial and error fiddle to avoid having the reverse lights flash on and off every time I manually selected a gear !

Dazaa

Well-known user
The switch on a 72 auto is on the side of the shifter, white colour plastic thing, no adjustment from memory, it's probably broken and it needs repairing or there is a fault somewhere else in the loom. The two wires going in to the transmission, if black and orange they are for the kick down solenoid.