RHD C8 unveiled at Goodwood

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I confess I haven't really read much about the FoS as we don't do that anymore. But, did anyone know that GM (Chevy Europe) were going to unveil the RHD C8? Having signed up with them for the "virtual unveiling a few months ago, and for any subsequent newsletters, I'd heard nothing.......

Roscobbc

Unfortunately the UK is far too small a market for a major car maker like GM to seriously consider a 'joined-up' approach to marketing the Corvette in the UK alone. How many will they sell in any one year in the UK? 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 10000? - a 'world' carmaker like GM would take the UK more seriously if selling 30 or 40 thousand C8's wouldn't they?
But thats where the benefits of RHD come in to play - add together the potential numbers from all (new for GM) RHD markets, so Australia, New Zealand, Japan, UK, most former UK territories in India and Africa. 30% of the world countries drive RHD vehicles. A good many of these counties have potential as 'emerging economies'. In my opinion this can only help us in the UK, although I suspect that perhaps Australia and Japan might take preference initially
5bbaa266ae84ee7f101fd143

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
It seems slightly ironic to me that GM sold up in the UK & Australia and ran for the hills but now we have the first RHD Corvette. They have no interest in trying to sell SUV's here any more but a low volume sports car they'll give it a go. Strange decision.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Unfortunately the UK is far too small a market for a major car maker like GM to seriously consider a 'joined-up' approach to marketing the Corvette in the UK alone. How many will they sell in any one year in the UK? 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 10000? - a 'world' carmaker like GM would take the UK more seriously if selling 30 or 40 thousand C8's wouldn't they?
But thats where the benefits of RHD come in to play - add together the potential numbers from all (new for GM) RHD markets, so Australia, New Zealand, Japan, UK, most former UK territories in India and Africa. 30% of the world countries drive RHD vehicles. A good many of these counties have potential as 'emerging economies'. In my opinion this can only help us in the UK, although I suspect that perhaps Australia and Japan might take preference initially
5bbaa266ae84ee7f101fd143

Exactly. We (Brits) all think that the RHD versions are for us. The reality is they are for Oz and/ or Asia-Pac countries. I forget the numbers now, but I did see a story about how many C8s have been pre-ordered in Japan - it pretty much took car of all the RHDs they could build!

I was just a tad disappointed that having signed up for their newsletter, I didn't hear about it. But, there could be an excuse as I may have been listed as a French resident!

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Hate to be that guy but the C8 looks so generic to me.
Just as a matter of interest James, what car(s) do you currently own/drive, as some members on here try to help you find a good C3? I see that your user details have changed from "CCCUK Member" to "Well-known User" That can happen when paid up members don't renew their subscription I think? Not you surely?