Side pipe, no AC

Rowcon123

CCCUK Member
Hi everyone, just about to buy my first C3 tomorrow but have noticed that it has had the AC removed due to the size exhaust.

I was just wondering why this would be needed? Is it a clearance issue and can I work around it and add AC back to the car?

Thanks everyone πŸ‘

Roscobbc

'Hi everyone, just about to buy my first C3 tomorrow but have noticed that it has had the AC removed due to the size exhaust.' (is 'size' a typo - should that mean 'side'?)

Can't specifically say about your car without more detail......but for example my car is a big block - I bought a pair of large tube Hooker headers (no side pipes) from someone who had originally bought them for an A/C equipped car.......reason? good quality headers will have individual header pipes that are all exactly the same length. In order to get these under the hood in the limited space available the 'bends' encroach on space where A/C unit would be on bulkhead. You'll find much the same with various model Yanks an engine combo's where perhaps header selection might exclude options like power steering or even manual transmissions. I

Corvette

Well-known user
The fact your ac has been removed I can’t see what that has to do with running Hooker sidepipes.

Eagle eyed Ross is viewing my next car with me!

Rowcon123

CCCUK Member
I do remember him saying that it has been removed for the uprated exhaust on the phone, but will ask about it when I get down, here is the link if anyone wants a look ! :)

Roscobbc

The fact your ac has been removed I can’t see what that has to do with running Hooker sidepipes.

Eagle eyed Ross is viewing my next car with me!
Can't speak for SBC's but certainly on mine one of the rear passenger head to collector pipes curves around where the air con housing would be situated. Its even close to the fairly minimalist heater assembly on mine (neccesitating an insulating pad)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Some of those hoods would have been like that when they were new. Fit/finish was not a priority in those days. Chevrolet could sell all they could make. Get them out the door, onto the showroom floor.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I do remember him saying that it has been removed for the uprated exhaust on the phone, but will ask about it when I get down, here is the link if anyone wants a look ! :)

That sales page says engine was replaced back in 2002 with a racer type engine, looks like high raise intake manifold
Pulley off water pump shows a slot for an A/C compressor belt, but see no brackets for it
See no A/C dryer, or Freon lines
Coolant fan was replaced with 2 electric ones
Needs a wiring cleanup.
No power steering ?
Myself do not like how that left fender and/or hood is out of wack or warped corner

Looks like it was a racer, so I'd be sure engine. tranny, etc is in good working order
Someone needs to decode that VIN #

79engine.jpg79engine2.jpg

Rowcon123

CCCUK Member
Hi everyone, thanks for all your help, I did end up buying it in the end and I love it !!! Drives brilliant, the only problem I have found is that it runs a little hot but I can figure that out no problem.

Thank you everyone for your help and can't wait to put some miles on it πŸ˜ƒ

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi everyone, thanks for all your help, I did end up buying it in the end and I love it !!! Drives brilliant, the only problem I have found is that it runs a little hot but I can figure that out no problem.

Thank you everyone for your help and can't wait to put some miles on it πŸ˜ƒ
Congratulations and hope you have many miles of fun driving with it and get the hot running sorted . (y) Where are you located ?