Number Plates

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Will you get pulled over for having american style license plates? I wanted to get this style. Also are we allowed blue text like this or has to be black? Thanks!
View attachment 15066
If you got physically pulled over, most police officers in my experience would give you a nod to fit the proper plates, most probably wouldnt bother pulling you as have better things to do especially as its a classic and mot exempt, unless they wanted to admire the car. However a worrying development after having slightly tweeked plates on my removals vans for 15 years with only one severe telling off, I got a 100 quid fixed penalty from a camera van last year. If you went to court to contest it you risk a higher fine or could lose your right to display the plate you may have paid a few hundred quid for. Maybe, fit it but carry a legal one in the car and if you get pulled , try the old β€œI put it on the other day for a show β€œ line 😬. Wont stop a camera snapping you but most policemen are fair and decent if you are respectful to them πŸ‘

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Out of interest, do you know what flavour of camera van picked you up?
a) Police speed camera
b) New police camera they use to catch people on the phone etc.
c) anpr operated by DVLA, mainly to check road tax and/or mot.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Out of interest, do you know what flavour of camera van picked you up?
a) Police speed camera
b) New police camera they use to catch people on the phone etc.
c) anpr operated by DVLA, mainly to check road tax and/or mot.
Yes, it was a police camera van on the A40 between air balloon and burord ish. Operator must have been short on speeders that day and had to boost his income πŸ™„

Piginvet

CCCUK Member
No, you cant legally put these on.
There is a 6 month allowance if its just been imported and tax etc has been paid in home country.
.gov.uk or dvla has all the info you need.
Whether you choose to follow it or not leaves you at mercy of police if you take latter path, that said most are not interested, unless they traffic....they are a different ball game! Most have no sense of humour and would book their mother if given chance!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Not worth the risk IMO , especially at your tender age James . I traffic cop who`s got a gob on would love pulling over a young driver in with a bandana !

Rich

Administrator
James, as you only asked it you would get pulled, I guess you already know that those plates are illegal. You already have a dispensation to use 6" x 12|" plates (as opposed to the standard oblong plates) so it may be worth saving uneccessary aggravation.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
No, you cant legally put these on.
There is a 6 month allowance if its just been imported and tax etc has been paid in home country.
.gov.uk or dvla has all the info you need.
Whether you choose to follow it or not leaves you at mercy of police if you take latter path, that said most are not interested, unless they traffic....they are a different ball game! Most have no sense of humour and would book their mother if given chance!
Did james not mean that β€œstyle” of plate rather than that β€œactual”
Plate. Pretty certain there cant be many on here who would risk driving around the roads wearing a random plate that has no relation to their vehicle? That would be asking for trouble 😱

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think you were just unlucky to have been fined for your style of plate. Many US vehicles at shows have these imitation graphic US plates on them as Mr Crickets NY style tag. I myself have driven on legal US tags in the UK for 30+ years, along with US style plates and have only been stopped once on the M25.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Here in the USA it is all about screwing over the taxpayers as the license plates are designed so that it is easy to capture
for photo traffic tickets/revenue and to reflect for radar or laser speed camera

Required to have front and rear plates on, but I have never put the front one on any of my Corvettes as it looks like crap
and never been a problem but at the same time I have only been stopped once for bogus traffic ticket in 56 years of driving

Question why are the plates in Europe so damn wide ?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Only rear tags required in FL, there are rumours that NY will alter their requirement from front/rear to rear only.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Such a shame because I think it gives the car more character. Fun police strike again!
A friend in FL has a E-Type with a UK M reg front plate ( from 73) on the front. He thinks it so cool. Another has a 911 with a German plate on the front. Again, he thinks it’s the business.
All done legally in FL

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
As said previously, I think you’ve got to be extremely unlucky to be pulled up or caught on a camera for having these style of plates on your car.