Switch identification please?

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Can someone tell me what these 2 switches are under the instrument panel. Are they standard or an aftermarket fitment? One is a standard 'rocker' switch, the other appears to pull up/down and might not even be a switch! Photo:IMG_1140.JPG

kentvette

CCCUK Member
What Bill says :) . The "fill panel" that both pull switch and the aftermarket item are fitted to can be removed (the pull switch will have small vacuum hoses attached), so you can maybe see what wire colours to look for on the aftermarket switch circuit. Or, take chance and switch it to see what happens!😱

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
What Bill says :) . The "fill panel" that both pull switch and the aftermarket item are fitted to can be removed (the pull switch will have small vacuum hoses attached), so you can maybe see what wire colours to look for on the aftermarket switch circuit. Or, take chance and switch it to see what happens!😱
Thanks for that info, I tried it with ignition on and cannot see the effect. I'll see if I can trace the wiring!

Last edited:

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
I'd say antenna cutoff, stop antenna going up, for use with aux, iPod etc. I've fitted similar
Ah!.....I'll try that as the aerial doesn't extend when the radio is switched on although it appears to work!...another little job I was getting around to! No electric fan on mine, just the standard clutched one. Thanks

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Trev

Assuming your's is a 1980 (?) then this should be on the top of your shopping list.
Not just a guide to where the wiper switch is, it has a lot of very useful info, especially for a new owner. Essential reading in my mind.👍
Next would be the Haynes manual, and if you want to get really serious, the factory Assembly Instruction Manual.

Tam

Regular user
I've seen this on another c3 it was for the windscreen washer as they had fitted an aftermarket washer bottle

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Basing my assumptions on it being declared as “first registered on 1/1/1979” on import and body/lights spec. DVLA have granted it ‘historic’
Excellent, no RFL, you can de- MOT it as well, although seems most people prefer to have one for peace of mind & also future selling value.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Trev - if you could post up some photos of your car we could probably decide from those whether it's a 79 or 80. Cars built from mid Oct 79 were 1980 year models as far as I know.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Sorry Trev, I should have picked up on your comment earlier! Looking at the enlarged version of your avatar photo, and based on outward appearance only, I'd say it is fairly definitely a 1980 car - it has the 80-on bumpers, the later bonnet, front fenders, vent grills etc, even the later wheels (not that they are an indication really!) The '79 look virtually teh same as a '78, except for the badges and the later seats. Of course, that might make things awkward with the DVLA now, so the less said maybe?..... Unless of course, someone went to a great deal of trouble to convert their '79 into a 1980 when they put the new chassis on it!

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
If this helps for differences - The 80 had an Alloy Diff Carrier and the Exhaust branched from the two Header Pipes to one and then back to two for the rear boxes.