Terrific Tremec Transmission

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
There's a small article in this weeks 'Autocar' extolling the dual-clutch transmission in the 2020 'vette....."The gearbox has a low 1st. gear for quick getaways, gears 2 to 6 are close ratio and 7 & 8 are taller for cruising"
Sounds good to me.
Oh - and "Algorithms in the 32-bit controller adapt to the driver's style" Gosh, never thought I'd need that.....
Stay safe & drive carefully,
J.C.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Jack, June & I "attended" the NCM's Virtual Bash over the last two days (well, afternoons and evenings) and there were two slots in particular that highlighted the Tremec unit; Tadge's piece on the 2020 and 2021 cars and Doug's "Corvette Racing Up-Date" slot in which he talked about his own 2020 car. He was absolutely thrilled with the car (which he bought and paid for himself incidentally) and couldn't say enough about the transmission and how incredibly it deals with every situation - in "auto" mode.

As you may know, I've long been an advocate of paddle shift 'boxes, and have no desire ever to get involved in a "hand assembly gearbox" again, (very few people are aware that even the C6 and C7 units adapt to driver style to a noticeable degree) but the C8 unit takes things a giant leap forward clearly! However hard we try, June & I cannot warm to the C8 ME look (or any ME car for that matter) so we'd never own one, but all I've read and listening to the speakers over the last couple of days it is clearly a fabulous car with very few equals.

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
I'm with you on auto with paddle-shift, Stephen. That's not to say I would never buy a 'vette with a manual g/box, but on balance, prefer the former. I sometimes wonder what a 7-speed (manual) C7 would be like.....
Can't say I've ever noticed my C6 'adapting' to my driving, but at my age, and the limited amount of driving I do, there probably isn't much adapting to do! I tend to leave it in auto all the time, and only stick it in 'S' to check that the paddle-shift is working and that I can see the correct tell-back on the HUD. (Difficult to know just what cog you're in at times).
I did have a mid-engined car back in 1987 to 1994; it was an AC3000ME with the Ford Essex V6' It was quite good, although it was pretty keen to snap into oversteer if you weren't careful (I found that out at Castle Combe, not on the open road). I bought my first Corvette in '94 (a 1982 C3 CE) and have stayed with GMs top dog ever since. I can sympathise with old-school types (that's you & me) who favour a long hood with a V8 up front (and a transaxle out back to even out the wt. distrib.), although I think the C8 looks pretty neat. I'd buy one if I had a spare £80K (?)
Best rgds - J.C. (1911)