TH350 Auto Box Front Yoke play ???

maxuk15

CCCUK Member
Hi All,
How much play should there be on the front yoke that connects the TH350 auto box to the drive shaft ?
There seems to be a fair bit which means that when selecting drive you get a "klonk" as it engages !!!
Would like to get a smoother engagement.
And is it a 31 spline or 32 spline ??

Cheers
Steve

mickn

CCCUK Member
My 73 has always 'klonked' when engaging drive or reverse, had it for nearly 19 years and it's always done it, changes seamlessly when driving

Nick B

CCCUK Member
It's highly likely that the rear 'snubber' cushion needs replacing, cheap and easy to do.

mickn

CCCUK Member
It's highly likely that the rear 'snubber' cushion needs replacing, cheap and easy to do.

I don't know about Max but you have to remember you are talking to someone who would struggle to re-fit a bicycle chain here

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Shouldn’t really be any play. Which direction is the play? That should give you an idea of what the problem is.

maxuk15

CCCUK Member
Cheers guys, Yes Nick it's a very do-able job in my eyes .
The play in the yoke is felt when you move the driveshaft by hand !!
So that's why I think the excess play is in the Yoke. It is a nearly 40 year old car !!!!
I will check the end cushion play when next under the car . :)

It's normally in drive the play Mr B.

Max

maxuk15

CCCUK Member
Cannot remember at the moment !!!
But looking in the workshop manual (1981) I have it talks about rotating the front Yoke 180 degrees and coating the the auto box shaft with "White Lead" presume paste to reduce the klonk.
Anyone heard or done this ??