Thoughts on price

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Hi Guys only me again, seen a few C3s out there around the 15k mark, It seems to be a fairly common area of price, its difficult because some appear cleaner than others but offered at the same price. Ive seen 2 here i may consider taking a look at. if anyone has any thoughts id appreciate any feedback. A private L82 manual in Maidstone and an auto at dealers in Burton on tent which looks the cleaner of the 2. and heres me in the middle in Norfolk. I think im going to owe you guys a round of drinks when we can eventually get out .

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The one in Burton looks like it’s been tarted up to sell by the dealers to me, the fresh undersell would need properly checking.

I prefer the other one looks more honest to me. Wonder if it’s a CCUK member or know car.

Last edited:

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
The one in Burton looks like it’s been tarred up to sell by the dealers to me, the fresh undersell would need properly checking.

I prefer the other one looks more honest to me. Wonder if it’s a CCUK member or know car.
I spoke to the guy selling the L82 manual and he’s had an mot on it every year and used it too. I may go down and take a look this week. I’m not fussed too much whether manual or auto but Ross says the manuals are a more entertaining drive. I have my checklist so although a little nervous fairly confident I know what to look for. Maidstone only a couple of hours from me.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hard to call without seeing them in the flesh and all the supporting documents . As Oneball said , bright shiny underseal could hide a multitude of sins that would need probing . Is it just sales bling ??? Rarity of L82 engine mated to desirable 4 speed manual more than makes up for the £500 price difference of the first one. 12 years of documented ownership by an enthusiast is worth a lot too if car has has been well looked after rather than a dealer looking for a fast buck !

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
L82 is a 4 Bolt Main, so is a stronger bottom end than the L48, but you will only know by the Engine Numbers (here comes the use of the "Black Book" again)
You need to see the cars in the flesh and remember look beyond a nice exterior - Best of Luck!

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
I can't add much to the other guys' comments; based on the pix, the '75 looks alright, but it's on later ('76-on) alloy wheels (not really a problem to you as originality
isn't high on your priorities).
The engine bay looks pretty good on the '76 - definitely some restoration work in evidence there, I'd say. It MAY be the camera, but the color of both doors seems slightly mismatched to the rest of the body, to my eyes. This Corvette is also sporting a later ('80-on) rear end.
Don't be fooled by comments about 'rarity' - not when there were over 2,000 of a particular option produced, anyway. Something like a '69 L88 would qualify for
special consideration, but not a '75 L82.
(For what it's worth, my own '07 C6 is extremely rare based on one consideration:- only 2 x 2007s were produced with it's particular RPO suite, so assuming the other one is still in the States, mine is unique in Europe. But I don't think it would be fair to expect a price premium come sale-time on account of that. I just consider it to be a 'point of interest').
Good luck with your hunting,
J.C. (1911)

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
I have checked the car out on HPI and all seems to be correct on this. I asked if there were any things that would hamper me driving it back from Maidstone to Norfolk should I decide to buy it and he said the only thing he has had which rarely occurs is a backfire which knocks the choke plate out on the Carb, I have limited knowledge of the finer mechanical things does this sound like a problem I should be concerned about. His words were it probably just needs tuning to eliminate it.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Depending on how confident a driver you are and the roads you will have to use on that particular journey going passed London you might be better to get it transported. I'm assuming you haven't much/any experience of driving a left hand drive C3?
Others will say just get on with it but 🤔 . You will have plenty of time to practice on familiar roads round home. And then no worries with back fires or anything else that could occur. Like running out of petrol:ROFLMAO:
Good luck with the viewing and keep us posted

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
It is always wise to take out a second final check with HPI (financial clearance) on the day at the time of your Purchase and get an HPI Written Document transmitted to you of that facts there and then (It can help later trust me) Unless of course you are dealing with a main Dealer Network such as Sytner / Stratstone / Ian Allen etc) - You are not going to get a main Dealer for a C3, but I would include Corvette Kingdom in your Trust List.

I know of an R8 that checked out HPI CLEAR of finance, but on the actual day of handover of the cash, a final check revealed the Honest Gent had the day before, taken out Finance on the Car

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
He’s done a couple of walk round videos for me all looks good, only thing I was a little unsure of is the pink splashes at the front near the radiator not sure if it’s from spraying or maybe something not cleaned up properly. I think this one may be good enough for a viewing

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Where can you see the pink splashed?
He's confirmed it was from when he mopped the car and used water he'd just not got round to cleaning it off. i guess it ran down off the bonnet. unable to post the walk around vids on here for some reason.

Roscobbc

As the other have noted - some odd shades of red on the Burton one - passenger door looks a lighter shade that same side front/rear fenders. Drivers side the door look like it matches rear fender (but not front fender)

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
This car has only done 3,450 miles in 12 years. That's very little and they don't really like standing too long which reinforces my suggestion about getting it transported. It's an air con car (although the likelihood of it being functional are slim to zero what ever the owner tells you) but the radiator you can see is actually the air con condenser - someone correct me if I'm wrong. The engine radiator is a bigger one under it on the engine side. But there's good news on the photo. - the metal rail under and almost touching the bottom of the "rad" is in excellent condition. They are a water trap and prone to rust. Hopefully the rest of the car will be in a similar rust free state. It states on the ad. that its had new tyres - but if they were fitted in 2008 they are over 10 years old and on that score should really be changed again due to age. So ask when the tyres were fitted (check the invoices) The ad. also states the front calipers were overhauled - but again if that was 10 years ago they might be ready for stripping again. And no mention of the back calipers. Braking systems on old C3's need regular maintenance and fluid changes. I see there is cardboard under the engine with oil stains. That's typical because oil leaks are common on these cars.
None of the above is a dealer breaker, especially if you're prepared to do your own repairs but it's definitely a bargaining tool .Four tyres £700? Brake overhaul - mainly time but £200 for new rubbers etc.?
The "pink" staining could be anything - maybe from when the car was resprayed, who knows. Mine's a bit like that in places under the hood.
Play it cool and it might be a £14,500 car?
Do you know anyone in the Maidestone area Ross who could go along? And no I wasn't thinking of Theresa May :rolleyes:

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the above much appreciated, i can't look at weekends as that's family time but i am taking a few hours off tomorrow to go and look around lunchtime. he also has some stainless steel exhaust manifold headers for sale at £350 on ebay, the rest of the exhaust is stainless do you think i should try to include these in the deal or would you not bother. They would look nice under the hood but are they worth it?

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
As the other have noted - some odd shades of red on the Burton one - passenger door looks a lighter shade that same side front/rear fenders. Drivers side the door look like it matches rear fender (but not front fender)
Thanks Ross i noticed that too when looking earlier. The guy selling the L82 has been very nice and taken photos and vids for me promptly and without question he's also happy for me to remove the door cill plates and footwell trim to inspect birdcage in that area. I also have my buying guide with me which i have read through again tonight.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
I doubt those headers will be a straight swap. Probably why he didn't fit them in the first place. So I would leave them
Have a torch with you to look into the bottom of the birdcage.

Roscobbc

This car has only done 3,450 miles in 12 years. That's very little and they don't really like standing too long which reinforces my suggestion about getting it transported. It's an air con car (although the likelihood of it being functional are slim to zero what ever the owner tells you) but the radiator you can see is actually the air con condenser - someone correct me if I'm wrong. The engine radiator is a bigger one under it on the engine side. But there's good news on the photo. - the metal rail under and almost touching the bottom of the "rad" is in excellent condition. They are a water trap and prone to rust. Hopefully the rest of the car will be in a similar rust free state. It states on the ad. that its had new tyres - but if they were fitted in 2008 they are over 10 years old and on that score should really be changed again due to age. So ask when the tyres were fitted (check the invoices) The ad. also states the front calipers were overhauled - but again if that was 10 years ago they might be ready for stripping again. And no mention of the back calipers. Braking systems on old C3's need regular maintenance and fluid changes. I see there is cardboard under the engine with oil stains. That's typical because oil leaks are common on these cars.
None of the above is a dealer breaker, especially if you're prepared to do your own repairs but it's definitely a bargaining tool .Four tyres £700? Brake overhaul - mainly time but £200 for new rubbers etc.?
The "pink" staining could be anything - maybe from when the car was resprayed, who knows. Mine's a bit like that in places under the hood.
Play it cool and it might be a £14,500 car?
Do you know anyone in the Maidestone area Ross who could go along? And no I wasn't thinking of Theresa May :rolleyes:
Adam and I have already discussed an inspection from someone more experienced Bill. He has it covered I think. That staining on rubber pipework is presumably from an earlier repair and wet 'rubbing down' during paint coats etc.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Adam and I have already discussed an inspection from someone more experienced Bill. He has it covered I think. That staining on rubber pipework is presumably from an earlier repair and wet 'rubbing down' during paint coats etc.
im going to look thoroughly tomorrow if im really happy with everything then ill be confident, if im not was going to ask tony to take a look at it for me, theres no major rush as i don't think its going anywhere in the next few days.

i did have just one more question, Jack mentioned the wheels are from a 76 which i didn't know, and also the rear bumper which i did know about is from a later car. personally i really like the look, i love the later wheels and in red i think the later rear bumper looks great however what are your guys thoughts on future resale are these going to radically devalue the car or do you think id still have plenty of offers provided it was well documented and looked after during my ownership?