Thoughts on this hood?

antijam

CCCUK Member
Well, along with the other panels you can see, it doesn't fit very well. (n)
As a penis extension though it's fine. (y)

Roscobbc

I have one of these on mine (L88 style) - essential in fact unless I wanted to carve a big hole in the hood for carb and air filter clearance - OK, so mines a big block but only using a single quad Edelbrock Performer RPM - AND - I had to use a thinner air filter element. A small block will be less critical in terms of height and a stock big block LT1 hood should be fine........

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have a slightly raised hood on mine, but I can never remember which hood is which. So I Googled it just now, and yes, I believe I have an LT1 hood on my Vette. Gives a little bit more height, and looks interesting. Out of interest, is a LT1 hood supposed to have vents in the bit that dips down towards the front of it? Mine doesn't appear to have any vents / anything to allow the air to come up there. It means when it rains I get a couple of small swimming pools at the front of the bonnet.... though I do avoid leaving / using the car in the rain

Roscobbc

I have a slightly raised hood on mine, but I can never remember which hood is which. So I Googled it just now, and yes, I believe I have an LT1 hood on my Vette. Gives a little bit more height, and looks interesting. Out of interest, is a LT1 hood supposed to have vents in the bit that dips down towards the front of it? Mine doesn't appear to have any vents / anything to allow the air to come up there. It means when it rains I get a couple of small swimming pools at the front of the bonnet.... though I do avoid leaving / using the car in the rain
No vents Capt. There should be two tiny drain holes for removing that water build-up. If a genuine genuine big blocl LT1 hood the underside will be smooth from the factory build. If aftermarket It'll have the matting showing.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I must admit I’ve always thought the L88 scoop was a little OTT, but it does look good in the photo. I remember that you could buy a L88 style scoop, and graft it onto your hood. Saw all manor of cars back in the 1970’s with it on. From Camaro’s to Cortina’s. I fitted one to a Capri once, looked pretty cool and unique after it was done. ( purchased from good ole JWR staples corner. )

Roscobbc

Remember how thin the 'glass L88 raised section was on most of these? - about 3/32" thickness compared with 3/16" or more of complete repro hoods?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Thinking back now, I seem to recall it was rather flexible. It went on a treat, and once all blended in, painted and I think we striped it like the LT1 hood, it looked bloody good. My friend was well pleased with the end result.
Probably made the car faster too. 😂😂😂

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
With modern camera phones people nowadays always have a camera handy. I would have loved to have such a device at hand all the time back in the day. I Would have a fantastic collection of memories of probably everything we did.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I have one of these on mine (L88 style) - essential in fact unless I wanted to carve a big hole in the hood for carb and air filter clearance - OK, so mines a big block but only using a single quad Edelbrock Performer RPM - AND - I had to use a thinner air filter element. A small block will be less critical in terms of height and a stock big block LT1 hood should be fine........
Looks badass on yours!

Dazaa

Well-known user
Just bear in mine the L88 hood significantly reduces how much you can see out the windscreen, I only figured that out when installing. They look perfect with the l88 flares.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
No vents Capt. There should be two tiny drain holes for removing that water build-up. If a genuine genuine big blocl LT1 hood the underside will be smooth from the factory build. If aftermarket It'll have the matting showing.
Nice one thanks. Shame they aren't vents, but hey, I like the look of it anyway. I'll have to have a look underneath at some point to see if I can spot what you mean. From memory, it looks smooth, but then I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I suspect its aftermarket though, as my car is a base 327/300hp model.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Nice one thanks. Shame they aren't vents, but hey, I like the look of it anyway. I'll have to have a look underneath at some point to see if I can spot what you mean. From memory, it looks smooth, but then I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I suspect its aftermarket though, as my car is a base 327/300hp model.
Fake like the trans am hood and pretty much all others of that era.

Roscobbc

A 'genuine' L88 hood that can be attributed to period L88 C3 Vette would be worth really serious money - perhaps thousands, no - tens of thousands of dollars.
Stock GM 'glass panels, hoods etc are pressure moulded. The underside of the panel is relatively smooth. Aftermarket panels are generally 'laid-up' - so, built-up from layers of glass fibre matting and resin (much mile a TVR, Lotus or Reliant would have been back in the day - GM's panels will be significantly thicker and more durable). Nothing wrong with that - you'll simply see the 'weave' of the matting on the reverse surface of the panel.

sublimemike

Well-known user
$1000 yes , tens of thouands ... better be careful where I park. I didn't know they were in that league - interesting- thanks

Roscobbc

$1000 yes , tens of thouands ... better be careful where I park. I didn't know they were in that league - interesting- thanks
Any part that can be positively date linked/matched to rare/earlier cars is worth additional money to the factory line sticker and chalk/crayon mark brigade.

Corvette

Well-known user
I have two genuine L88 GM hoods. I imported another one in 2014 from an NCRS judge in New Jersey. Apart from the fibreglass texture on the underside it should have GM rivets and the all important Z shaped support on the raised centre at the rear visible thru the windscreen. Genuine L88 hoods were a popular over the counter GM part back in the day.6DB59363-5BD2-4358-840F-1F0F8659105C.jpeg

Dazaa

Well-known user
Took a pic to show how much the L88 hood blocks your view.

Attachments

• 1C5BF685-B93A-4BF2-9E63-16783932A548.jpeg
    1C5BF685-B93A-4BF2-9E63-16783932A548.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 10