Tyre pressure monitor sensor for UK spec C5

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Keep in mind if one TPMS is failing good chance the battery inside is about gone and also due to the frequency (315 Mhz) used for C5 sensors
are not the same as newer GM models they are harder to find as not being made so maybe best to get 4 new ones and change all 4

You can find them for about $30 each, such as from Amazon

C5 TPMS

Here is just one of them for $21 (US)
Just 1 TPS

Several makes

TPMS makes

Keep in mind that many of these brands to prevent the non-replaceable internal battery from draining during storage is vendor puts the sensor into
a sleep mode and requires a special tool to just wake them up

Still then need to go via the DIC of the C5, put it into learn mode and with a strong earth magnet going from LF, RF, RF, RF wheels and with magnet wait for horn to beep before going to next wheel or use a tool that does what the magnet does.
Owners manual will tell how to do this

Learn tool

I do not know if the USA versus your country uses different designs

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
My friend (long term C5 owner) carried out the training process today and discovered 1 would not respond. He told me that euro and uk spec uses a different frequency to the US. I can get them from rockauto, but at £61 plus tax and shipping.

Pete

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Did he mention what frequency they use ?
A sneaky way to shut up TPMS is if all 4 sensors are taken out of wheels, install normal valve pressure stems, then nothing will be seen on the DIC
Needed that for race purposes when running either too low or higher tire pressures and TPMS bitches, so people take sensors out

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
No, he couldn't remember the frequency. My wheels have 2 holes in each, 1 for tyre valve and one for TPMS. I only noticed this when cleaning wheels as I've only had the car a few days and am addressing issues.

Pete

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
That is odd Pete as I never have seen a setup like this here in the USA when the TPMS is normally also for setting air pressure

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I believe that if you run without sensors the DIC will keep complaining.

Also, I think you'll find videos on Youtube showing how to replace non-replaceable sensor batteries.

My understanding is that TPMS is integral with the metal valve stem. Google it. Amongst other things, the reset procedure involves locating a big magnet around the valve stem.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
OK that answers it
Being the C7 had 17 front and 18s rear, going with 20s have you cross-checked with a GPS that shows speeds if it matches
the speedo gauge in dash ?
Lots of times people change tire and or wheel size and if C5 has auto tranny then the reported speedo will be wrong and so will the auto shift points.
If so must be corrected in a PCM tune

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I believe that if you run without sensors the DIC will keep complaining.

Also, I think you'll find videos on Youtube showing how to replace non-replaceable sensor batteries.

My understanding is that TPMS is integral with the metal valve stem. Google it. Amongst other things, the reset procedure involves locating a big magnet around the valve stem.
For the C5s
If no TPMS then about every 30-40 miles driven the DIC does show TPMS issue
BUT does not trip traction control or go into limp mode
Simply erase if from DIC and off again for 30-40 plus miles

GM did this on purpose, so people could switch to race wheels and have no TPMS for a day of racing
Some tricks if now wanting to have TPMS in wheels such as racing

Leave the sensors in garage, every time car is in garage is when starting or before key off is let sensors sync up to the controller
and then C5 is running OK for miles again

Or take the 4 sensors, put in a can that can be air pressured up to like 27 PSI.
Put can in hatch cubby space and run the wheels without them,
saves having 2 sets of sensors for street and race wheels or costs of adding them from one wheel style to another

Lastly if not wanting to screw around with TPMS is find someone with a GM Tech-II
As TPMS for some C5 years was an option, like for Z06s so in the BCM is a software switch that can be turned on or off for TPMS
and set to off will never trip a low pressure warning.

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Safe this to print out when needed for TPMS Relearn

Instructions on How to Sync Sensors - C5 (and other models)

1. Ensure your tires are inflated to OEM specified pressures (found in your owner's manual).
2. Turn ignition to ON position, with engine off.
3. Press the RESET button on the DIC in order to clear any warning messages.
4. Press and release OPTIONS button until display is blank.
5. Press and hold RESET button for 3 seconds.
6. Press and release the OPTIONS button until the TIRE TRAINING is displayed.
7. Press and release the RESET button until the message LEARN LEFT FRONT TIRE is displayed.
8. Hold your handheld TPMS tool (or strong earth magnet) against your driver's side front tire's sidewall
and point the antenna (if using electronic tool) directly towards the valve stem.
9. Hold down the left button on the TPMS button until your horn honks.
10. The horn honking tells you the vehicle has registered that tire's sensor.
11. Move to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure.
12. Move to the passenger side rear tire and repeat.
13. Finish with the driver side rear tire.
The horn should sound twice, indicating the vehicle is programmed.
14. You may now remove your key.

PhilV8

CCCUK Member
My friend (long term C5 owner) carried out the training process today and discovered 1 would not respond. He told me that euro and uk spec uses a different frequency to the US. I can get them from rockauto, but at £61 plus tax and shipping.

Pete
Yes EU/UK cars use 433Mhz I believe

jukebox

CCCUK Member
Hi have this not sure if its the one you need.

Attachments

• 16316045633103908351136022491219.jpg
    16316045633103908351136022491219.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 16316045848115485302552842427438.jpg
    16316045848115485302552842427438.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 8

Rich

Administrator
Keith Beschi at Eurovettes should be able to tell you exactly which sensor your car needs (there are several).

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
Looking at Rockauto, the part number for Euro spec is 20807214. There was one on Ebay last night, but not listed as to what one, and when i asked it took a while for them to get back to me to say it was a UK one, and by this time it was sold - sods law. I'll contact Eurovettes to find out.
Cheers,

Pete

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
Hi have this not sure if its the one you need.
Hi, Just checked that number and it is the part I require. My mate gave me this part number, but suggested it may have been supersceded as it was a while ago he bought one. How much do you need for it plus postage?

regards,

Pete