UK We do not want this so take it Home :-)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
A BMW M3 owner was ticketed in New York for violating the city's Noise Code after being recorded and photographed by a new type of traffic camera that can measure the decibel levels near the roadway as a vehicle passes. These new devices can automatically issue a ticket if the car exceeds noise thresholds.
More reports indicate we could expect to see more new "noise cameras" popping up nationwide.

The ticket was issued by New York's Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), posted to the Lowered Congress Facebook page. It instructs the owner of the car to have the allegedly noncompliant muffler repaired or replaced, and to take the vehicle to a DEP location for inspection once complete.
It's New York City, so in the case of this ticket, the owner happens to have been asked to report to an actual sewage treatment plant, which must be where the DEP conducts some of its vehicle inspections.
A $875 charge is threatened if the vehicle owner does not comply, and additional fines are threatened if the notice goes unanswered.
Here's how the city's letter describes the operation of the traffic camera:

"Your vehicle has been identified as having a muffler that is not in compliance with Section 386 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law, which prohibits excessive noise from motor vehicles. Your vehicle was recorded by a camera that takes a picture of the vehicle and the license plate.
In addition, a sound meter records the decibel level as the vehicle approaches and passes the camera. "

The Department of Environmental Protection confirmed that such a system does indeed exist, and is in operation at the location of the ticketed BMW M3 that was posted, so these noise traps are real, and they're out there.

This specific NYC camera is part of a larger DEP pilot program that started in September 2021, and is planned to carry on until June 30, 2022, when it will be reevaluated by the Department. Strangely, R&T found out the traffic camera program is not officially a part of New York Governor Kathy Hochul's recent legislation to cut down noise pollution.

NYC doesn't appear to be the first program to use similar anti-noise traffic camera tech.
In fact, just this week the City of Knoxville, Tenn Announced a similar program to crack down on noisy motorists, using what it calls "noise cameras" from U.K. manufacturer Intelligent Instruments Ltd. Knoxville's trial program is designed to record all vehicle data when the traffic camera is triggered, including audio levels as the car passes by, and then the vehicle data is uploaded to a server where an actual human technician then decides to proceed with issuing a ticket or not.

It could be the same company behind both new noise ticketing trials in the U.S. An ABC 5 WATE news station report from October 2021 says Intelligent Instruments Ltd. also operates a pilot program in NYC and seven of its noise cameras in its hometown of London, England.
It's unclear if the New York City program handles data ticket issuing in the same manner as Knoxville's new plan.

This may just be a couple of audiophile cameras in a Brooklyn or Knoxville neighborhood today, but maybe it could come to an intersection near you in the near future.

Roscobbc

We are supposed to have 'sound' camera's in London's West End. During 'the season' all the indecently wealthy sons of even more indecently wealthy Middle East parents come to London's West End to hunt down 'recreational' english females during our summer months. They fly over their Veyron's, Lambo's and Ferrari's and parade them in the street close to Harrods and Sloane Square, frequently driving like total DH's and enraging the 'poor', 'unfortunate' local residents esconced in their multi-million pound properties. Some of our own 'hot hatch' and Gone In 60 Second worshipers are also reportedly doing the anti-social driving thing with their exhaust cut-outs and 'wizz-bang' backfiring software and being 'pulled' by the police, seeming alerted by these sound meters (supposedly)

phild

CCCUK Member
They probably have there cars on plates of their country of residence and will escape detection, or at least the fines.
If only they would come up with something that detects and fines those who continually throw garbage out of their car windows. :devilish:

Roscobbc

They probably have there cars on plates of their country of residence and will escape detection, or at least the fines.
If only they would come up with something that detects and fines those who continually throw garbage out of their car windows. :devilish:
Police will impound the cars on foreign reg no's

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
There has been a lot of chatter about these cameras again in the UK media this week.

Putting my hand up, whichever C3 I end up with, it will have side pipes and be will loud as I grew up in the early 70's watching them thunder around race tracks and that's along the lines of what I want.

At the same time, I am extremely respectful when it comes to other people and their tranquillity.
It suddenly occurred to me that for the C6 there the Mild to Wild switch and not being technically minded, I wondered can something like that be fitted to a C3 side pipe system? :unsure:

Letank

CCCUK Member
There has been a lot of chatter about these cameras again in the UK media this week.

Putting my hand up, whichever C3 I end up with, it will have side pipes and be will loud as I grew up in the early 70's watching them thunder around race tracks and that's along the lines of what I want.

At the same time, I am extremely respectful when it comes to other people and their tranquillity.
It suddenly occurred to me that for the C6 there the Mild to Wild switch and not being technically minded, I wondered can something like that be fitted to a C3 side pipe system? :unsure:
You could fabricate a custom system with electronic exhaust valves to control exhaust routing through unsilenced side pipes on one hand, or through silenced pipes to the rear tailpipes. I think you would need to have the factory style side pipes though, as it would be a nightmare to do on Hooker/Dougs style side pipes given where the collector is located.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
You could fabricate a custom system with electronic exhaust valves to control exhaust routing through unsilenced side pipes on one hand, or through silenced pipes to the rear tailpipes. I think you would need to have the factory style side pipes though, as it would be a nightmare to do on Hooker/Dougs style side pipes given where the collector is located.
Interesting, thank you. I was hoping to have Hooker/Dougs style side pipes though. :unsure:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Interesting, thank you. I was hoping to have Hooker/Dougs style side pipes though. :unsure:
No, factory 1969 side exhausts are the best looking side pipes for a C3. If your into bling, you can polish up the aluminium covers until they sparkle.

Roscobbc

If you are looking for high performance from your C3 the factory sidepipes will restrict power, especially on big blocks. Much the same with Hookers - the extra long primaries, even though large diameter only give their best output unmuffled........good reason to do it?

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
If you are looking for high performance from your C3 the factory sidepipes will restrict power, especially on big blocks. Much the same with Hookers - the extra long primaries, even though large diameter only give their best output unmuffled........good reason to do it?
I guess it is a case of what is the definition of high performance? :unsure:
My C6 essentially gives me the high performance speed / handling I want.

I'm not looking for my C3 to be a dragster or to shake my fillings out doing 170mph down the Mulsanne.
For me the C3 will be about having that old school V8 rumble and presence along with a decent amount of grunt / torque at pick up.

This..... (y):cool:

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
They look loud just sitting on the car. Out of those two I prefer the 2nd ones as they are all one color. The other ones look Matt with a chrome shield.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I like the factory standard sidepipe look.... which coincidentally my 68 has fitted to it. Its nice and loud for me.

I have enquired with local exhaust fabricator about having exhaust valves fitted so I can switch between the loud sidepipes and quieter rear exhaust. Chap looked over the car and said it was doable. Not had it done yet - got lots of other stuff I want doing to my C3 first though.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
I have enquired with local exhaust fabricator about having exhaust valves fitted so I can switch between the loud sidepipes and quieter rear exhaust. Chap looked over the car and said it was doable. Not had it done yet - got lots of other stuff I want doing to my C3 first though.
Good to know - thank you. (y):cool:

Roscobbc

I like the factory standard sidepipe look.... which coincidentally my 68 has fitted to it. Its nice and loud for me.

The real 'issue' as I see it with the electronic exhaust valves is that the 'open exhaust' sound when operated isn't really the same as that wonderful 'upcapped' header collector sound. There isn't really a comparison with the sound of 3" or 4" 'short'header collectors vs a 2 1/4" or perhaps 2 1/2" diameter exhaust valve. Unbaffled Hooker sidepipes however is a differnt matter.......those long 4" tubes with the turn-outs nicely amplify that wonderful sound.......

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
The real 'issue' as I see it with the electronic exhaust valves is that the 'open exhaust' sound when operated isn't really the same as that wonderful 'upcapped' header collector sound. There isn't really a comparison with the sound of 3" or 4" 'short'header collectors vs a 2 1/4" or perhaps 2 1/2" diameter exhaust valve. Unbaffled Hooker sidepipes however is a differnt matter.......those long 4" tubes with the turn-outs nicely amplify that wonderful sound.......
When I had my Vette in for lots of work including the new custom stainless side pipes, they had me in the garage specifically so we could all giggle at the open header sound before the exhaust went on. It was good.

I do like my sidepipe sound though, its nice. But I was only thinking of the exhaust valves so I could swap to a quieter sound for when cruising on the motorway etc. I don't go motorway cruising much in the Vette anyway, so no rush on getting it done.