Upper bearing, Steering column 78 T&T

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Has anyone changed the upper bearing on the steering column of a 78 or same, with tilt telescopic steering.? Can it be removed from the top whilst column is in situ? I've been in as far as replacing the turn signal switch. I know there's play in the T&T pins as well, & have seen how to do that, but not sure of the set-up for the bearing. Is it part of the cowling cover, or pressed on the column? Any help gratefully received. Thank you Steve.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Just in the process of changing my switch - any tips on threading the wires up and down inside the column Steve?
This parts breakdown might help you with the bearing

Attachments

• C3 Steering column.pdf
    783.1 KB · Views: 12

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Just in the process of changing my switch - any tips on threading the wires up and down inside the column Steve?
This parts breakdown might help you with the bearing
Hi Bill, yes, threading the wires, it's the toughest bit, ! However this is what I did.
The wires at the block connector can be carefully unclipped. Use a very small screw driver to carefully push the clip to release it from the block connector, leaving the wires together with the clips. BUT
1.Take a photo before starting ensuring you can tell which way around the block is.
2. As insurance I put a piece of white tape across the connector and wrote the colour of the wire above each port. EG W= White etc ( think there was LG light green, and DK dark green)
3. Unclip
4. Cut the OLD switch wires at the top as long as possible.
5. Tape the new to the old at the top (steering wheel)
6. Pull through from the bottom.
7. Push new wires back into the connector ensuring correct order & right way up.
Now I can tell you that mine was very tight & jamming, so much so, it parted company! Mine is T&T & I imagined keeping the column straight would be best
However if you tilt down a little & use a torch from the bottom up, you can make a clear passage. I use a thin flexible steel rod to restart the process.
I should say that this info came from Wilcox Corvette Technical, with the exception of my bodge!! LOL 😂 I'll post it if I can find it. Steve

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Bill, I used a round Allen head bolt to lock the column, (in place of the star bolt)the compressor tool fits over it. Take the star bolt to the hardware store to get the same thread & length. Make sure the 5 eared plastic washer spacer is in the correct orientation, the indicators won't work properly otherwise. S

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Thanks Steve - I modified a bolt to hold down the telescopic bit - now trying to remove the wires and plastic connector. Might have to cut the wires but trying atm to get the old part out in one piece. It's not beaten me yet ;) Otherwise will do your method. I've got a new horn retainer washer, so will make sure it's positioned correctly. Will update you with progress when it stops raining.

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Looking at the diagram which you very kindly supplied, it looks like the bearing is in the cowling with removable race. I'm just doing my homework for a winter project sat in the garage. Diff next when the lube comes.