USA or UK

johng

CCCUK Member
Personally, I'd price it up both ways but it might also depend on what bits you are after. Not sure I'd want to order a windscreen from the US! Think I've spent around £7k on parts, the majority came from the States, but I've bought a number of bits from all the UK suppliers as well

Roscobbc

Personally, I'd price it up both ways but it might also depend on what bits you are after. Not sure I'd want to order a windscreen from the US! Think I've spent around £7k on parts, the majority came from the States, but I've bought a number of bits from all the UK suppliers as well
What John says!

The bits are exhaust ,radiator ,brake master and booster ,all gaskets and fittings

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just price up your parts both in £ & $, add the import fees and shipping. It’s only maths at the end of the day, not rocket science.

Just price up your parts both in £ & $, add the import fees and shipping. It’s only maths at the end of the day, not rocket science.
Having never imported anything before I am unsure what costs to add . I would assume the USA parts would be cheaper to start with but once costs are added is it worth the hassle ? Thanks for your reply though

TimP

CCCUK Member
Having bought quite a few parts for my Corvette over the last couple of years I think there are a couple of non-cost related things to think about too.

My tuppence worth.....

Firstly, risk. If you buy from the US and the package is damaged or the part is faulty or just the wrong part, it is a lot more difficult to return it or change it.

Secondly, I think UK based suppliers will have mostly filtered out parts that are not of the right quality as they wouldn't want to damage a reputation in what is after all a limited customer community in the UK.

Also in my purchases I have been fortunate to get some (much welcomed) added value technical help from my supplier which I may not have received from a US (or any other country for that matter) supplier. I know that I have ordered parts that weren't actually suitable for my car and this was found out by my supplier when they processed the order. Knowing the details of the car I have, they were able to use their knowledge to substitute (with my agreement following correspondence) the correct item.

Lastly and more subjectively, I think it is good to support local (ie Uk based) businesses which make our hobby easier to enjoy.

I have bought parts from the US, mainly those that I could not get from UK based suppliers so I have used both methods. I won't go into details but one of my US transactions did go sour. So in summary, I think convenience, risk and support also need to be weighed into the decision on sourcing.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Having never imported anything before I am unsure what costs to add . I would assume the USA parts would be cheaper to start with but once costs are added is it worth the hassle ? Thanks for your reply though
Well, at the moment we in the UK are not getting a very favourable exchange rate against the Dollar so that doesn’t help prices, but of course that’s the same for the UK suppliers as all their parts also come from America. You mentioned your looking to spend about £7k on parts, well that’s a big chunk of change and depending on what’s on the parts list some savings by ordering direct from the US could be considerable.
Most if not all of the major Corvette parts suppliers now ship internationally, people like Corvette central, Ecklers, Zip, Paragon etc so ordering/shipping should not be a problem, and they can quote you prices. Obviously the import tax our end will apply at approximately 10% duty and then 20% VAT.
As has been mentioned previously the only drawback can be if a part is incorrect or possibly damaged. Different suppliers do things differently. This can easily be found out at the time of ordering.
It may take a little time but your required items could be priced up from both suppliers UK & USA to see where savings could be made. Then the balls in your court.