Wanted - C3 Fibreglass rear spring +8 inch lowering bolts

Dazaa

Well-known user
My 71 is almost 2 inches higher than it should be at the back due to the aftermarket steel spring the previous owner fitted, apparently a fibreglass one will bring it back down again. Would also like a pair of 8 inch lowering bolts.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’ve got a used standard steel one if you want it. I’m in Worcester.

Mine was sitting like this with it on.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
My 71 is almost 2 inches higher than it should be at the back due to the aftermarket steel spring the previous owner fitted, apparently a fibreglass one will bring it back down again. Would also like a pair of 8 inch lowering bolts.
If it is a standard rear spring the longer lowering bolts should do it - remember if the front springs are down that will raise the back and vice versa - a composite spring is going to need shocks to suit.

Dazaa

Well-known user
If it is a standard rear spring the longer lowering bolts should do it - remember if the front springs are down that will raise the back and vice versa - a composite spring is going to need shocks to suit.

It's a modern repro spring and the upper leafs aren't curved like the original which I think is causing the the issue. Currently has 7 inch bolts fitted and is still way too high. I just fitted Bilstein shocks on the back anyway

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Appreciate the offer as your car looks to sit perfectly but i'm not sure if leaf springs wear out and it will negate any benefits from the completely overhauled suspension....

The two issues you can get is they start to sag and lose their arch or the anti friction strips between the leaves wear through. It looks ok to me.

It’s going spare so if you want it you can have it for a small donation to your chosen charity.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
apparently a fibreglass one will bring it back down again
Not necessarily. I’ve seen cars sitting too high with a glass spring. There’s other factors besides the important poundage rating of the spring. Wheel camber will make a difference, as does tyre pressure on deep section tyres. Tyre diameter will vary depending on what size tyres you have, all can make a difference to the ride height. Gas shocks do actually hold the car up slightly too I’ve found.
My car is set low at 27 1/4 inches to wheel arch with a steel spring.

Roscobbc

Not necessarily. I’ve seen cars sitting too high with a glass spring. There’s other factors besides the important poundage rating of the spring. Wheel camber will make a difference, as does tyre pressure on deep section tyres. Tyre diameter will vary depending on what size tyres you have, all can make a difference to the ride height. Gas shocks do actually hold the car up slightly too I’ve found.
My car is set low at 27 1/4 inches to wheel arch with a steel spring.
And of course not all springs are created alike - differing poundage of springs, OEM original steel, OEM replacement 'glass, Aftermarket steel, Aftermarket 'glass - too many variables - heard of too many issues not to be vary careful with 'glass springs (they have been known to de-laminate) - I'd be concerned about too much reliance on 'lowering bolts' and consequent reduction of suspension travel........

Dazaa

Well-known user
I think this picture shows my issue quite well, the rear of the car is just way too high and even with the new wheels on it's too big of a gap to accurately place the fender flares. Have decided to go for a coil over kit on the front as I think the old springs have had it (driver side is an inch lower than passenger) I'm going to try the used spring offered above and see if that at least gets the car sitting right to get the flares fitted. Would like to do a rear coil over conversion but theres only so much money i'm willing to throw at this money pit.

Attachments

• F5EF9416-1937-45CC-B0AC-726B2EDE1784.jpg
    F5EF9416-1937-45CC-B0AC-726B2EDE1784.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 25

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I think this picture shows my issue quite well, the rear of the car is just way too high and even with the new wheels on it's too big of a gap to accurately place the fender flares. Have decided to go for a coil over kit on the front as I think the old springs have had it (driver side is an inch lower than passenger) I'm going to try the used spring offered above and see if that at least gets the car sitting right to get the flares fitted. Would like to do a rear coil over conversion but theres only so much money i'm willing to throw at this money pit.
From the Pic not too easy to see but front is down which would send back up - Single adjust shocks on the front Coil Overs is good - I would not bother with a Composite on the rear, plus you have just put new Shocks on the rear that most likely are not a match for a Composite - Rear Steel Spring is Ballast - Not the best place to remove weight - If anything Heavy Duty Steel rear Spring and Single adjust Shocks.

Dazaa

Well-known user
From the Pic not too easy to see but front is down which would send back up - Single adjust shocks on the front Coil Overs is good - I would not bother with a Composite on the rear, plus you have just put new Shocks on the rear that most likely are not a match for a Composite - Rear Steel Spring is Ballast - Not the best place to remove weight - If anything Heavy Duty Steel rear Spring and Single adjust Shocks.

Appreciate the insight. I think you're right, I may pass on the glass spring and see if the factory 69 spring and lowering the front gets the stance right.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Looks to me like it’s been deliberately jacked up, maybe to avoid the side pipes and headers from grounding. Are there any packers where spring sits under diff or short bolts on trailing arms?

Dazaa

Well-known user
Heres a pic of the rear, nothing appears out of place, apparently the top 3 leafs on the repro springs are curved when they should be straight which is what cause them to lift the car. For some reason the picture won't get any bigger but theres no shims between the spring and the diff

IMG_0204.JPG

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Dazaa, I have just clicked on the small image and now looking at the bigger picture, I correct myself, the front is not unduly low, presuming your issue with excess body height at the rear is the same on both sides of the car a new correct steel spring will sort it, but remember you said you had a bad front spring, well that would normally send the front down on that side and the back up on the other side, so to square up the car you will also need the new front springs in place at the time.
With the Coilovers at the front you will be able to adjust the ride height at each Coil independently irrespective of the rear - get single adjust shocks same on the back and you will then have a Vette with fully adjustable suspension, ride height, hardness and everything else. (Twin adjust Shocks at the Rear if a Composite - but I would not want to go there)
Where are you based?
Why are you not a Member of the Club?

Dazaa

Well-known user
Dazaa, I have just clicked on the small image and now looking at the bigger picture, I correct myself, the front is not unduly low, presuming your issue with excess body height at the rear is the same on both sides of the car a new correct steel spring will sort it, but remember you said you had a bad front spring, well that would normally send the front down on that side and the back up on the other side, so to square up the car you will also need the new front springs in place at the time.
With the Coilovers at the front you will be able to adjust the ride height at each Coil independently irrespective of the rear - get single adjust shocks same on the back and you will then have a Vette with fully adjustable suspension, ride height, hardness and everything else. (Twin adjust Shocks at the Rear if a Composite - but I would not want to go there)
Where are you based?
Why are you not a Member of the Club?

Yes the height issue is the same both sides of the rear. On the front whilst trying to fit the fender flares I discovered the driver side is about an inch higher than the passenger side so I figured might as well just replace the lot with semi coil overs rather than deal with cutting worn old springs and all the associated hassle of getting both sides level. Have ordered Van Steel coils for the front. I would love to have coil overs on the rear but i'm already way over my original 20 grand budget and can't justify rears at the moment but definitely going to think about it for the future.
I'm based in East London and have been meaning to join the club for ages and never got round to it, will get it sorted now you've mentioned it. With any luck being a member will help with insurance quotes as i've not had much luck so far, I think being 24 isn't helping!

antijam

CCCUK Member
This thread might be worth checking.

My own '71 still has the original spring and a wheelarch height from the ground of 28" on the left and 29" on the right. I haven't checked for broken leaves yet, but if the spring is OK I shall have to do a bit of adjustment on the tie bolts.

Roscobbc

Dazza - Essex region meet Margaretting, not too far if you are based in the 'eastern' part of east London (like me). Some of the insurers will demand being a club member - you'll normally get a discount. You'll also get a club discount from some suppliers. Customville is one to try in your area.

Dazaa

Well-known user
Dazza - Essex region meet Margaretting, not too far if you are based in the 'eastern' part of east London (like me). Some of the insurers will demand being a club member - you'll normally get a discount. You'll also get a club discount from some suppliers. Customville is one to try in your area.

Awesome that isn't too far from me, can't wait to actually get my car on the road and meet other vette owners soon, it's been quite a lonely project so far!
Fingers crossed on the insurance, probably should have thought about it before I bought the car lol.