What have you found in your Corvette

TimP

CCCUK Member
I must admit to getting a disproportionate amount of enjoyment out of finding non-car related odds and ends in my car. Particularly when you don't have any history, some of these items provide some clues as to where your car was based or what previous owners did with it. Earlier in the rebuild I had found a 1996 Disneyworld badge, a few souvenirs of (presumably) that same visit and a cassette recording of a local band with a hand written label. Recently, when I removed the drivers seat I found a coin wedged under the seat track. I had put it to one side at the time but whilst enjoying a short break with a cup of coffee this weekend I had another look at it. It was fairly messy but once cleaned up it turned out to be an old quarter dollar.
BQC1.JPG BQC2.JPG

Apparently it's not any old quarter but (according to wikipedia) a Bicentennial Celebration special edition quarter minted in relatively small numbers (still about 1.6billion!) in 1975 and 1976 only to celebrate 200 years of independence from .... err, us. Not so many of them around now and ones in good condition (ie not this one) are quite collectible.

I'll have to dig out that cassette, find an old player and see if I can learn anything about them too .....;)

antijam

CCCUK Member
I recently had my seats out and discovered ....

1-P1370131.JPG

...a cent and a 5p piece - which rather neatly summarised its travels to date.... :)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
In 2019 I had the windshield replaced due to a developing crack . Whilst watching the guys to the job I spotted something sticking up from behind the dash top . It was a Members Permit Number 1111 for the Bel Air Bay Club - Pacific Palisades , Los Angeles , California . It`s a top notch private beach club just off the Pacific Coast Highway and still exists . Maybe I should get in touch and see if their records go back far enough to find the cool dude that first owned my car in 1980 . :cool:

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I'd hoped that during removal of seats and some of the carpet I might discover some trinket or clue to a past life, but.... nothing! All we found that gave any clue was the few ounces of pure white Florida sand in the radiator support! As we now know the car started life in Fort Myers, that makes sense....

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I had the interior re-trimmed with new seat sponges (normal squash) and now I must be sitting higher because the interior mirror is in my sight line and blocking my field of view, but I suppose it aids with my vanity

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I'd hoped that during removal of seats and some of the carpet I might discover some trinket or clue to a past life, but.... nothing! All we found that gave any clue was the few ounces of pure white Florida sand in the radiator support! As we now know the car started life in Fort Myers, that makes sense....
I thought you were about to say you found a few ounces of pure white something else !! :eek:

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I thought you were about to say you found a few ounces of pure white something else !! :eek:
:D Actually, considering the colour change to red and the hideous, wide, wire wheels with fake spinners that the car had when we first saw it, ( and coming from Florida) that might not have been far fetched!;)

mickn

CCCUK Member
I'm not concerned about what I'm finding in my 73 at the moment but I'm very concerned at what seems to be disappearing in it at the moment..............namely plenty of money!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I'm not concerned about what I'm finding in my 73 at the moment but I'm very concerned at what seems to be disappearing in it at the moment..............namely plenty of money!
:eek: I take it it`s not all going in the fuel tank then ? :(

mickn

CCCUK Member
General service, radiator re-cored, fuel line split, battery died on Saturday and valve seals to come. I think the car is jealous and sulking since I bought the 63 just before xmas :) I can't really complain, the car has been fantastic in the 18 or so years I've had it and I found out this morning the battery is 14 years old!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
A 14 year old battery ??? That must be some sort of record ! Although I am sure someone will soon post that they have had the same battery since 1973 ! :ROFLMAO:
As for the jealousy thing , that`s what comes from having two mistresses ! One is always gonna pout and feel left out .:rolleyes:

UK67

CCCUK Member
This Zippo lighter fell out of the heater box when I removed it recently. Flint still sparks but nowhere to fill with gas.

Attachments

• 153665769_176695153997072_4830799174978122907_n (1).jpg
    153665769_176695153997072_4830799174978122907_n (1).jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 3

Oneball

CCCUK Member
This Zippo lighter fell out of the heater box when I removed it recently. Flint still sparks but nowhere to fill with gas.

They’re a liquid lighter. Pull the inner out of the case, then you fill up the wadding inside.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I must admit to getting a disproportionate amount of enjoyment out of finding non-car related odds and ends in my car. Particularly when you don't have any history, some of these items provide some clues as to where your car was based or what previous owners did with it. Earlier in the rebuild I had found a 1996 Disneyworld badge, a few souvenirs of (presumably) that same visit and a cassette recording of a local band with a hand written label. Recently, when I removed the drivers seat I found a coin wedged under the seat track. I had put it to one side at the time but whilst enjoying a short break with a cup of coffee this weekend I had another look at it. It was fairly messy but once cleaned up it turned out to be an old quarter dollar.
View attachment 9459 View attachment 9460

Apparently it's not any old quarter but (according to wikipedia) a Bicentennial Celebration special edition quarter minted in relatively small numbers (still about 1.6billion!) in 1975 and 1976 only to celebrate 200 years of independence from .... err, us. Not so many of them around now and ones in good condition (ie not this one) are quite collectible.

I'll have to dig out that cassette, find an old player and see if I can learn anything about them too .....;)